Tarps in Snow.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have just upgraded from a German Poncho to a British Army basha. Can anyone suggest a good way to pitch the basher in woodland when snow is expected? Lots of guides out there for using a basha, but none seem to say much for when the white stuff is falling out the sky?

Thanks

J

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hammock or floor? Either was you want a steep pitch angle. Without this the snow just builds and pops your guys.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Depends on the wind but I have had my tarp touching the floor which tended to allow the snow to fall down the walls then start to build up and cause sagging. A little gap would be better but this lets the wind in. Rather than a solution for you just a few things as a heads up.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have this as my wallpaper, one day I will do that to my siltarp....

2u3wq40.jpg

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i tend to pich my tarp with the back edge touching the ground, pegged in with some logs or soil etc to help stop the wind, if your in a wood the snow should not be too much anyway, depending how thick the wood is. keep the top edge high facing away from the wind, this will mean snow slides of, and you can also have a fire in front of the tarp if you want to, the army tarps are quite robust all round, so good choice....;)

if your looking at lots of snow then a ridge line will be required pegged down so its at a very steep angle, this will keep the snow of but will offer little room for moving around, but thats fine because you can open it out during the day if you like...

snow camping though, the best, my fave time of year is winter camping, nothing like having a brew in bed watching the world go by, the birds and animals twitter around with the gentle pitter patter of snow on the tarp.....

im out this year too, cant wait....:):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE