Swedish survival bag? Anyone know?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everyone.

A retailer in the US is advertising a "Swedish Mil. Survival Bag". It's an oiled canvas sleeping bag with a wool and cotton liner combination.

Does anyone know anything about these?

It looks to be promising, but without seeing it in person... :?:

Thank you in advance for any opinions. :biggthump

Mike

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Perhaps it is something like this?:

Sovsäck, "Övrig". Oanvänd. Äldre modell.

Basically an old Swedish Army sleeping bag. I believe it uses wool as insulation. Outer looks like it could be canvas. Princely sum of 70SEK or about £5.50 from Active Life Equipment in Sweden plus postage of course :wink: I have never seen on so can't comment on them other than they are probably pretty heavy. I would be interested to see what they are offering.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Moonraker said:
Perhaps it is something like this?:

Sovsäck, "Övrig". Oanvänd. Äldre modell.

Basically an old Swedish Army sleeping bag. I believe it uses wool as insulation. Outer looks like it could be canvas. Princely sum of 70SEK or about £5.50 from Active Life Equipment in Sweden plus postage of course :wink: I have never seen on so can't comment on them other than they are probably pretty heavy. I would be interested to see what they are offering.

You will soon become an expert on swedish military surplus :eek:):

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Viking said:
You will soon become an expert on swedish military surplus :eek:):
Hehe :eek:): I spend enough time looking at it all Viking mate :) I just remembered it from looking on ALE web site and thinking it might be an interesting natural material sleeping bag option.. but I suspect they upgraded them for a reason :)

Hootchi found it. The same item that Ridge Runner was asking about. I should have caught it on a search, sorry.

Yes, it is heavy but not to heavy to haul in the truck or on a pack horse :wink: (for use in a base camp scenario like the steel Swedish mess kit). I would like to get away from some of the synthetics where it makes sense. I normally have an open fire in camp and synthetics are more susceptible to fire. Then there is also the issue of abrasion resistance due to the dirt, grit, gravel and rocks so commonly slept on around here.

It's possible that it's not even Swedish, Sportsmans Guide sometimes mixes up Sweden with Switzerland in their catalogs :rolmao:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
merwin said:
Yes, it is heavy but not to heavy to haul in the truck or on a pack horse :wink: (for use in a base camp scenario like the steel Swedish mess kit). I would like to get away from some of the synthetics where it makes sense. I normally have an open fire in camp and synthetics are more susceptible to fire. Then there is also the issue of abrasion resistance due to the dirt, grit, gravel and rocks so commonly slept on around here.

Not to mention those rattlers, scorpians and red-backs!!!! I slept out just south of the Dragoon Mountains during a Ranch trip over there last June and managed to find two snakes and a network of spider burrows.....didn't dare mention it to my wife or she'd have been back on her horse and out of there quick time! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Fantastic part of the world you're living in there Mate....lucky you! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE