Swamp Cajuns & Katrina

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Does anyone have any word on how the rural population of Louisiana is doing after Katrina??? in particular what's happenning with the Cajuns who live in the more remote areas, have they been ignored in favour of the city dwellers? on the news they don't seem to get a mention. Could it be that another people who live with the land have disappeared? I hope not.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
They will probably cope better than the city dwellers, less reliance on outside help!
Its silly but it seems to be the more organised (seemingly?)and regulated the culture is, the harder hit they are.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
When searching the internet for surplus, I ran across a home-based outfit more or less dedicated to reenactors located in Mississippi. They had British Army fleece jackets, plus some other interesting things, so I gave them a call. Already I don't remember what day it was but it was just before the hurricane hit. They let me know what was about to happen. I went ahead and placed an order just the same.

A few days later, I looked up the town of Poplarville, Mississippi, where they were located, to find it was within 30 or 40 miles of the coast in the southern part of the state. They did go through the hurricane with some damage but they didn't have to evacuate and no one got hurt. According to their website they had some roof damage but none of their stock was damaged. The website still says they have no electricity or telephones. I don't know how they run their website but it said they can e-mail only when they can find a telephone.

However, they are not Cajun, if that matters. There was mention in the local paper of people living out in the country who still needed some assistance but, no, there has not been much attention to people outside New Orleans. To put things into perspective, you also have to understand that floods have been common along the Mississippi (and Missouri and Ohio) rivers through the years, in spite of all that has been done to minimize the damage, like building levees.

You have raised an interesting point, though, and we are likely to hear very little in the national media about such things. Something might show up sooner or later in some specialized magazine like Backwoodsman about how they made out.

Another thing that has facinated me about Louisiana is how all those places mentioned in songs (like Blue Bayou) are right there on the map but that is getting off topic.

That surplus website is www.wephaus.com.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE