svord drop point

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Graham just a thought but you might want to ask this over on British Blades. I am sure Danzo can help you.

I saw one at last years Wilderness Gathering but dont own one myself, even so it did lok a well made tool. I think there was a review somewhere too.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
It is Graham it is a proper version of the old mountain man style anti snatch sheath, Woodlore copied the design for their neck sheath but the older sheahts were worn with the belt over the sheath to lock the knife against the body until needed.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the knife turned up in the mail this morning.
many thanks to gary for speedy service.
anyway my first impressions,
i opened the jiffy bag to be greeted by that wonderful "new leather" smell :)
the sheath is well made and of nice thick leather, coming quite far up the knife. it's going to need a lanyard for easy access but the knife should stay secure.
(although i'm going to try my hand at making a sheath at the north scottish meet in a week or sos' time)
the knife itself is quite possibly the best spark thrower i've ever seen :eek:
even better than my knivsmed stromeng 9". it turns my firesteel into a flamethrower. the blade was indeed still blue from the forge and "shavin' sharp"
it's light and well balanced and feels natural in my hand. i'm going to be torn to choose between this and my woodlore as my default bushcraft knife.

the down side :(
  1. the point wasn't very "pointy"
  2. the handle is a little rough
  3. the blade can come into contact with your belt
the first one i can sort on my stones, the second with wet and dry andthe third by making a new sheath (i want to learn how anyway)

so all in all money well spent.
more results as they come in ;)

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi Graham

I've had experience of a fair few Svords and most of them are not very pointy. Even in New Zealand hunting shops they have that slightly rounded tip.

However they do 'point up' very well on a grinder and become needle sharp. I've had this done on some basic models and the mighty deluxe ones. If you don't have the kit or skills to do it yourself (I don't either) I'm sure someone here, or certainly over on BB, will do it for you.

Danzo

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm an engineer by trade so a little metalwork doesn't scare me. i'll point the blade using a diamond file and my water stones. i don't want to use a grinder on it. the heat build up can damage the temper of the blade.

also i gave the blade a few strokes on my starkie :eek: it's now scary sharp.
the steel of the blade has a nice "grain" pattern similar to the cutting edge of my katana.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE