"Survivor Man"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Has anyone been watching this series on Discovery Science channel? He goes out in different areas of the world and survives for 7 days with no food or water... Just watched the one where he survives in the desert, and another where he's adrift at sea in a liferaft...Enjoyable telly :)

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
I watched it when it was originally on last year. Quite enjoyable tv although it must be a right pain stopping to film yourself every 5 minutes as opposed to getting on with what he was trying to do.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
maddave said:
Has anyone been watching this series on Discovery Science channel? He goes out in different areas of the world and survives for 7 days with no food or water... Just watched the one where he survives in the desert, and another where he's adrift at sea in a liferaft...Enjoyable telly :)

How does he manage in the desert?

Sitting still in shade and doing nothing?

Can't get the series here

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yeah watching him in the rockies this morning, he must have someone with him unless he can float down a river and film himself from 10ft away at the same time :confused: , not so sure jumping in a mel****er river and using it for transport is such a good idea when hypothermia is your worst enemy!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
copper_head said:
yeah watching him in the rockies this morning, he must have someone with him unless he can float down a river and film himself from 10ft away at the same time :confused: , not so sure jumping in a mel****er river and using it for transport is such a good idea when hypothermia is your worst enemy!

Are you referring to Survivorman or was that another guy? :confused:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Hoodoo said:
Are you referring to Survivorman or was that another guy? :confused:
There was another program in between the Survivorman episodes called Ultimate Survival this link takes to his web site.

Also on today is Extreme Survival with Ken Bradshaw lots of good information in that show.

F

faolin little wolf

i watched is last night and i noticed a few thigs which didn't seem right, but the main thing was the way he uses an axe the guys an ejit!! but it was a laugh to watch lol

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I've had a few email exchanges with Les Stroud about his shows. Very nice chap really. I actually sent along to him proper instructions on making an igloo, since his attempt to make one in the Canadian Arctic failed miserably.
He has always said his show is designed to not be perfect but to instill some ideas into people about what they can do with little if stranded somewhere. He certainly show his mistakes too and that is a fair representation of reality. Things often do not work out as planned.
One thing I cannot agree at all on, is his use of multitools. While I think the Swiss Tool and Leatherman Wave are great gadgets and can be used in a survival, bushcraft setting, I really would not want to depend entirely on a small locking blade for all my knife related needs. The other implements are nice to have and useful, but I prefer a solid, full-tang knife for cutting and all around blade useage.
I never enter the wild country without a proper fixed blade knife of 4 to 5 inches length. I may never use it, or need it, but it is always with me and ready for use.
I consider a multitool as a backup and utility piece, not my primary cutting tool. However, you have to give Les credit, he proves you can do it, if necessary. He manages to survive with little to work with and stays safe and warm.
As for the desert show, if that was the one in Arizona, he was about 100 miles from where I sit now and it was fall or springtime. Surviving the desert in the SW, USA is really not hard when it is not 100+degrees F. The deserts here are quite enjoyable in fall, winter and spring. I prefer winter, snakes and other nastys are usually not out in winter and you can roam freely.
I hope Survivorman has more shows coming along, they are informative or at least make you think and help with personal planning, what to do and what to avoid. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE