Survival Knives; A Builders Guide to Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
I see no modification in this post that would warrant the work involved. If you really want to look like Rambo go to Millets and spend 10 quid on a "Survival" knife. :rolleyes: ...as for me, I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Surreptitiously trying to bring one of these (or any other knives) onto a plane is asking for all sort of unpleasant reactions, and the person who does deserves what they get. Besides, If the idea is to have your knife with you when the plane crashes, how many people survive falling from 30000ft long enough to need it?

Wasn't there a knife nut in lost? - obviously started (though not continued)a train of thought. Not my cup of tea that knife, and I would have no problems watching someone with it on a plane be dealt with by a sky marshall.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Wasn't there a knife nut in lost? - obviously started (though not continued)a train of thought. Not my cup of tea that knife, and I would have no problems watching someone with it on a plane be dealt with by a sky marshall.

Yes there was, but I think it they were in his suitcase in the hold, not carry on.

I think, I will stay out of this discussion, before I say something, that will get me a visit from the 'Mods'.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I think I had those builders too... when they asked where they could tie up their horses, I should have got the warning signals...

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I don't think its a very good idea for an inexperienced person to "build his own survival knife".

Knifemaking is to many an enjoyable pastime or profession but I would certainly not make a piece of equipement that my life or the lives of others may depend on from reading some intructions and in particular instructions that others have already pointed out contain errors serious enough to render the knife made with low cutting performance. I don't think many people would do the same thing with other vital bits of kit such as climbing ropes or tents.

Its different in a real survival situation because you make do with what you got but if I want a "survival knife" made to a specific design I would get in touch with a professional maker just like I would buy my rope and tent from good manufacturers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE