Stingy Nettle Juice for Stingy Nettle Stings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I assume others here know about this too, but I've never read it on the site so I figured I'd mention it.

When I sting myself with stingy nettles, I always get rid of the sting using the juice of crushed stingy nettle leaves (pulled firmly from the plant). For me, they work much better than dock leaves. I heared about the technique via Lofty Wiseman (either on TV or in his SAS Survival Handbook, I don't remember which).

Pappa

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Not tried that. Wish I'd know as I was having a go at neetle cordage at the weekend and could I find a dock anywhere near by?

Thanks for the info. I love this forum. Something new every day :D

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
You can in fact use any green plant that has a slightly sharp juice - docks, burdock, sorrel, dandelion - anything that you might try to make into a soup!

Never tried this with nettle, but it does sound entirely plausible!

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
True. I'm usually ok for the first 3-4 plants but after that I just can't take it - woose I know but I suppose if I keep practicing my cordage ( and I need to ) maybe I'll develop and immunity :rolleyes:

I don't think that the stings are acid, not particularly. From what i understand, the 'stings' are actually tiny, hollow silicon hairs that are so sharp they can pierce your skin, but so brittle that they will break off. The hollow cavity inside them contains hystamine, which your body releases as part of the immune system anyway, (hayfever is when too much hystamine is released because the immune system is over-reacting) so you're basically getting a hystamine injection. But obviously the nettle's injection is much more than you would normally find in the body in such a small area, hence the inflammation and 'bubbling' reaction you can get.
Be aware, i havent double checked this, it's just what i rememebr from an accidental reading a few years ago but it makes sense.
Lol, i know this isn't a particularly useful post (it doesn't tell you how to relieve the pain or anything) but i hope it's informative in a purley interesting way. I'll do a little more reading up on the subject and see what i can find, in terms of relief from them etc. Tired, so very tired. Night.

Ajali
XOX

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
It does work, I tried my hand at the cordage for the first time the other week. I used some good work gloves for the first couple to see how easy it was to strip them, lol I was confident by then I think to take the glove off which was sodden. my hands were green, by the time I'd finished pulling the fibres off my hands were soaked and bright green and I didn't feel any pain.

It does make sense though, as they say that most things antidote is part of the poison.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
The stings contain a mixture of histamine and formic acid ( the same used by painful species of ant).

Baking soda is supposed to be okay on the stings.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I learned that one of 'Historys worst Jobs' with the legendary Tony Robinson. It dosn't bloody work though...............

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Formic. Lots of information at wikipedia, including the nettle eating competition at the Bottle Inn - I've been there - didn't enter though, it looked far too much like hard work! :lmao:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
In my experience the best leaves for relieving nettle stings are those from the tip of the nettle. The smallest, freshest, and softest leaves on the thing. Crushed and rubbed onto the stung area they have always worked for me, even better than dock leaves.
Having grown up playing along the banks of the Great Ouse and mostly wearing shorts at the time I had plenty of chances to experiment with what would and would not work on nettle stings. I think the over-exposure asa kid must have made a difference though, because I am very rarely bothered by the stings these days and cannot remeber the last time I came up in the typical little white bumps that nettle stings raise on most folks. Might be like a bee keeper getting used to the bee stings I guess?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE