Stainless steel vs Carbon steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Karl5: Your knife is beautiful. Also, the scabbard. Was it custom made or can it be purchased on the market? I am intrigued by the way the leather strap hooks to the pommel of the knife. I probably lead a sheltered life out here on the prairie of Kansas, but I have never seen this before. It looks really clever and useful. Having said that, I think the stainless vs carbon argument will never end. I argue with myself about it. I have some stainless knives that I really like, and some carbon knives that I like as well. My experience has been that stainless are GENERALLY harder to sharpen and therefore one would assume that they would hold an edge better. However my experience has been that they do not hold an edge better. Draven mentioned his dad didn't like him using the carbon knife that he made in the kitchen because it discolors onions. I would suggest using some gun blue on the blade. I have done this on an old carbon kitchen knife that has been in my family for several generations and it seemed to work just fine. Note: all gun bluing is not created equal, ask around and find out what is good and what is not so good.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Karl5: Your knife is beautiful. Also, the scabbard. Was it custom made or can it be purchased on the market? I am intrigued by the way the leather strap hooks to the pommel of the knife. I probably lead a sheltered life out here on the prairie of Kansas, but I have never seen this before. It looks really clever and useful.

Thanks Chinkapin! :)
No custom, it's a standard knife, a Brusletto Troll.
You can find it on the Brusletto homepage.
On the other side of the puddle, you can find/get it at Ragweedforge.
If you find it a bit on the expensive side, have a look at the "Profileringskniv". That too you'll find at Ragweedforge.
The Troll is very much along the lines of traditional knives in Scandinavia in general and of Norway in particular.
Compare it to a classic Mora #1 (the one with a red wooden handle), and you'll easily see they've got the same heritage, altough I find the Troll to certainly be easier on the eye.

/ Karl

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Karl5: Thanks for the excellent tip about Ragweedforge. Looks like a great site. I'm still wheezing over the price, but its certainly not over priced for the quality knife that your getting. I have never used a Mora type knife and are not familiar with them, but it looks like they are real popular on this web site. A few days ago I placed an order for a 2-pk of Swedish Army Moras with a green rubber handle and a green kydex sheath (24 dollars U.S.) That is REALLY cheap. It is so cheap that i would have been scared off except for the favorable comments here. I hope they are as good as everyone says!

Emerson

Jan 11, 2009
IL
www.edcknives.com
Karl5: Thanks for the excellent tip about Ragweedforge. Looks like a great site. I'm still wheezing over the price, but its certainly not over priced for the quality knife that your getting. I have never used a Mora type knife and are not familiar with them, but it looks like they are real popular on this web site. A few days ago I placed an order for a 2-pk of Swedish Army Moras with a green rubber handle and a green kydex sheath (24 dollars U.S.) That is REALLY cheap. It is so cheap that i would have been scared off except for the favorable comments here. I hope they are as good as everyone says!

$89 dollars is high?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE