Spring Forage 2008 (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Went on a bit of a forage yesterday (Sunday). Rancid Badger has organised a number of bushcraft themed training events at Chopwell Woods near High Spen, (not far from Gateshead).

RB, myself, Ken and the Recreation Ranger from Hamsterly Forest ran the one day course which included a forage looking for, identifying and tasting wild foods growing in the woods. We also covered bark basket making so people could gather stuff with baskets made on site and cordage making techniques using whatever we found.

Eight people signed up for this one and all had a very good day out.

sm-spring-forage001.jpg

sm-spring-forage002.jpg

sm-spring-forage006.jpg

sm-spring-forage007.jpg

sm-spring-forage009.jpg

sm-spring-forage010.jpg

sm-spring-forage011.jpg

sm-spring-forage012.jpg

sm-spring-forage014.jpg

sm-spring-forage015.jpg

sm-spring-forage018.jpg

sm-spring-forage019.jpg

sm-spring-forage021.jpg

sm-spring-forage022.jpg

sm-spring-forage023.jpg

sm-spring-forage024.jpg

sm-spring-forage025.jpg

sm-spring-forage026.jpg

sm-spring-forage027.jpg

sm-spring-forage028.jpg

sm-spring-forage029.jpg

sm-spring-forage031.jpg

sm-spring-forage032.jpg

sm-spring-forage033.jpg

sm-spring-forage037.jpg

sm-spring-forage038.jpg

sm-spring-forage039.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Oh yea, forgot to add, we had the most delicious pot of soup for our lunch. Potato and nettle soup. Lovely!

Two handfuls of young nettle tops, two potatoes, water.

Boil it all up till the tatties break up, give it a good pounding to break up the nettle leaves, add seasoning and that's it. IMO it's better than leek and pototo soup.

Eric

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
looks like a good day out that.And i like the sound of the soup, nettles coming up nice now will be giving it a try this week.

rancid badger

Some good pictures there, unfortunately I ended up with a load of blurred pics, why I'm not sure:dunno:
The weather was threatening to turn to pig poo a couple of times and indeed, was quite wet at times in the afternoon, but the trusty old canopy did the trick. I'd forgotten how good parachutes are for group shelter/classroom use.
P5040069copyresized2.jpg

Could do with a new one, as this one was retired from service in about 1986 and has seen some heavy use since then, as a shelter/bouncy blanket/dust cover/sleeping bag and pillow, among other things!

The day was deliberately planned to be informal, with no set route to follow as such, just a general direction and just see what we could find.
Neil Taylor, the F.C. ranger was amazing, he has a degree in biology among other things and really knows his onions! He's a very quiet character but also hilarious at times. He knocked up some amazing nettle based soup,along with a few other odds and ends including bramble shoot's and Rose Bay willow herb shoots just steamed in a billy for 5 mins.
P5040061copyresized1.jpg

Neil talked about how things might have been 8 or 9 thousand years ago, with just the odd small group of folk wandering through area's like ours, hunting and gathering as they went.
Eric, as always, a mine of information, explained all sorts of details relating to clothing, foot wear, tools, food etc.etc.
We spent some time down by the river, talking about how it might have looked and what would have been available compared to today; red deer, wolf, bear, beaver etc.
I talked about cordage, improvised containers, cooking fires, the price of fish and my new canoe:rolleyes: :D
We also harvested a Wych Elm pole for making cordage later on, as well as a few hazel staffs for blackberrying in the autumn, the tops of which were used to hang the billies over the fire.
The group went digging for pignuts,next to the base camp area, managing to gather a slack hand full and have a look at our resident alpaca's ( as Eric is prone to say: "lovely pelts on those!" or, in my case: "there's blxxdy good eating on of those":D )

P5040066copyresized3.jpg

Ken did a quick fire lighting lesson for those who had not been on our previous course days, while the rest of us concentrated on getting a brew going.
Then it was a demonstration on making an ask bark container, sewn with spruce root. This fitted in very nicely, as of course when foraging, you need something to put your harvest in. 8 or 9 thousand years ago, it would be bark or animal skin, so as we had no skins available.......:D
The question was asked by one of our students: "Oh, are we going to make one of those today then?" to which of course I had to reply, that in order to do that, we would have had to spend a couple of hours gathering the required materials beforehand and this was why our third event on June 08th, was a full day of learning to make the containers, including gathering the materials!;)

Anyway, I was buxxered by the end of the day, as was the rest of the team but thoroughly enjoyed it, with no moans or whinges from our students

Thanks as always to Eric, Ken and Neil for their support and commitment and get booked up for our Bark container workshop-June 08th.;)
Cheers:D
R.B.
(message to self: must stop eating lard bars and crisps! :( )

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I had a cracking day and a thanks to all involved. I've been to the last two and I've learnt some interesting stuff. These guys really know there stuff. Get yourselves booked on to the next session cos I am if I'm not working

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm glad you enjoyed it Leezo, thanks for the kind words, and welcome to BCUK. Stick around, I'm sure you'll find tons of interesting stuff on here and in the rest of the site.

Eric

rancid badger

I had a cracking day and a thanks to all involved. I've been to the last two and I've learnt some interesting stuff. These guys really know there stuff. Get yourselves booked on to the next session cos I am if I'm not working

Oh man,... your making us all blush:eek:
Really glad you enjoyed it, Don't forget to post in the introductions section for a proper welcome and hope you enjoy the site;)
cheers
Steve

rancid badger

Do you have to be 18 for these courses? . Cain

How old are you Cain? you are indeed supposed to be 18 to attend but if your 17 and you can get a parent to take part as well, I'll see what we can do. It's not just up to us, as instructors we have to liase with the Forestry Commission who have final say on this sort of thing, so let us know asap.

The next event is our bark container workshop, where you not only learn how to make the containers, you gather all your materials and even make some of the tools to do the job.

We really are expecting this one to fill up, so if you want to attend, check out FOCW website for details

all the best
R.B.

rancid badger

Excellent stuff guys, that looks like a cracking day out. :You_Rock_

Thanks Tony, it's been a great help being allowed to publicise the events on BCUK :You_Rock_
We were surprised on the smaller number of takers for this event. The Bark container workshop should hopefully be a sellout:rolleyes:

Thanks again and best wishes to all at BCUK;)
Cheers
Steve

Mang

Settler
looks like a good day out that.And i like the sound of the soup, nettles coming up nice now will be giving it a try this week.

I agree, it looked really relaxed and indeed I'd never thought of the pot hanging arrangement in the pics so I've learned something too!

I tried Nettle soup ooh years ago (after seeing Eddie McGee do it on telly!) and hated it. I'd like to try the soup suggested but isn't Nettle quite Spinachy?

rancid badger

I agree, it looked really relaxed and indeed I'd never thought of the pot hanging arrangement in the pics so I've learned something too!

I tried Nettle soup ooh years ago (after seeing Eddie McGee do it on telly!) and hated it. I'd like to try the soup suggested but isn't Nettle quite Spinachy?

It is a bit "spinachy" but the soup that Neil made was really good, all it needed was a little salt to be honest.

The puree(sp?) he did was also rather nice but had little real flavour as such, I would say it tasted of green:D that said, It was a not unpleasant way of getting large amounts of iron into the blood, not to mention several vitamins which I can't recall now:bluThinki Plus the fibre content is quite high, so it's a pretty good food really.
I reckon if we had added a few wild garlic flower buds or even just some young wild garlic leaves, to the puree, it would have been fantastic.

John Fenna has just posted a nettle soup recipe today, so that'll be worth a try.

best wishes
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE