Sparks from Pyrite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Hi all,
I was in one of those "Shoppes" you know the ones that sell everything from telescopes to bush hats and crystals etc.
Well I picked up some iron pyrite for a quid and eagerly went home to upset the wife and start fires in the bathroom sink (you know you've done it)

There I was pyrite in one hand carbon steel in other accompanied by the obligatory piece of well prepared charcloth (al la Roving Rich of the BCUK meet-up 2004 vintage)

damn me if I could get any semblance of a spark from the above materials.

Question:

Is there differences between the types of iron pyrite one can obtain?

Have I picked "Fools Pyrite" instead of could the carbon in the steel be an issue?

jakunen

Native
I thought TMN used a steel on his when he did it on TV...

Yiu can even just use two pieces of pyrites according to his book, but it does say to use flint. If you use steel it must be high carbon and correctly tempered, but he doesn't say to what density...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You can use a steel against a pyrite to get a spark, flint also will work as will pyrite on pyrite. Remember the sparks from pyrites are alot cooler than those of a fire steel and you get a much less amount of sparks so it may take you a few attempts to get the charcloth burning with a nice coal....... actually it can take ages.

;-)
Ed

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jakunen said:
I thought TMN used a steel on his when he did it on TV...

Yiu can even just use two pieces of pyrites according to his book, but it does say to use flint. If you use steel it must be high carbon and correctly tempered, but he doesn't say to what density...

I showed you that on your course too - cant you remember - tut!!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yes you did mate.

Iron pryites I use a steel with them - sparks are weak but they do work.

As an after thought I should point out that flint and pyrites are the 'true' technique and you strike the Pyrite with the flint - but as I say I prefer to use a steel and pyrites.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
"Is there differences between the types of iron pyrite one can obtain?"

Sort of - you get the large cuboid crystals, they can work but tend to shatter horribly. The nodules with needle crystals radiating out from the centre are mechanicaly a lot more stable. Presumably pyrite discs would also work.

I've done a lot of playing over the break. You get better sparks with pyrite if you use something akin to the knapping technique - sort of throwing the flint whilst still holding it loosely in the hand so that it makes a glancing blow. Difficult to explain but you're not quite gripping the flint whilst it's in motion, this seems to encourage the sparks to head downwards rather than drifting off at random.

You'll also find that not only do some nodules work better than others but some spots on the nodule will behave better. I have to confess I'm not using flint - I'm using a teardrop shaped flake of quartzite.

I haven't tried a steel with pyrite yet - largely because I've misplaced my sacrificial file that I intended to make a steel from.

Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE