Someone to re-handle a Cegga axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I picked up a second-hand Cegga SFA a couple of years ago that has a bit of haft damage below the head. It has never really bothered me, but I'm looking into having it re-hafted. Does anyone on the board do this?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mark sometimes folk may be a little shy about it as axes are quite personal things. Plus you may find the cost each way of posting an axe & handle pretty expensive.
Have you thought about heading to one of the local meets, but before hand asking if anyone going would give you a hand doing it? That way you can do it under supervision, learning a new skill.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Buy a haft, drive to my workshop, I'll teach you how to do it. No charge, I'll even throw in tea and cake.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Certainly is. A lesson from the axe man himself. Brilliant offer.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a long old schlep for Mark - quite understand if he hasn't enough time. But if he is in the neighbourhood one day :)

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Wow! I guess I had the "notify me of new posts" feature turned off. Lots of very nice offers here.

Colin, I really may come up to Suffolk. It's been too long since I made an appearance. And Red, thank you very much.

You should know that I picked up a helve and and may try and fit it to a on old Kent head that I've got lying around. That would give my some practice. As for the Cegga, now that I've watched a ton of Youtube videos, my sense is that the handle isn't in bad shape at all. It's been knocked around, sure, but my light usage shouldn't be a problem. I also didn't know that finding a 20" handle would be so difficult. A handle with someone else's log (GB or Wetterlings) is not really an aesthetic option for me. But I did run across a 20" Hultafors handle at Heinnie. I figured that Cegga's head might be closer fit to that one, being as he works there. So that might be an option if I decide to destroy my perfectly good axe.

I am, however making a leather collar guard. Now if I could only find an affordable piece of tough leather! I keep seeing sites that sell scraps, but I doubt that they are thick enough, and often think that I won't find a piece long enough. Hmmmm...

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Find someone like me who wears riggers (pull on steel toecapped boots). I trash out a pair every 6 months and the leg leather is usually fine...that would do the job. Alternatively buy a piece of 3mm or 4mm veg tan from someone here who buys whole shoulders in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE