Some starteling images from the past.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Curtis's photographs do look beautiful though they should not be read as accurate ethnographic documentation. He staged most of them quite carefully.

"Curtis has been praised as a gifted photographer but also criticized by professional ethnologists for manipulating his images. Curtis' photographs have been charged with misrepresenting Native American people and cultures by portraying them in the popular notions and stereotypes of the times. Although the early twentieth century was a difficult time for most Native communities in America, not all natives were doomed to becoming a "vanishing race."[10] At a time when natives' rights were being denied and their treaties were unrecognized by the federal government, many natives were successfully adapting to western society. By reinforcing the native identity as the noble savage and a tragic vanishing race, some believe Curtis detracted attention from the true plight of American natives at the time when he was witnessing their squalid conditions on reservations first-hand and their attempt to find their place in Western culture and adapt to their changing world"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_S._Curtis

The main picture shows a wonderful Haida canoe one of my blog readers sent me pics of a similar one built last year.

9.jpg

Blog post

And this hopefully links to a slideshow of the Haida people steam bending the cedar canoe. http://www.haidanation.ca/Pages/Splash/PhotoGallery/canoe_steaming.html

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
sign0005.gif
... But this one brought me up short...

Anyone got the time?

Interestingly, the clock was touched out in another of the images in the Portfolio collection. Taschen do a good publication of his works...worth buying imho...Curtis is one of my heroes...and I dont have many

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I see that the women are doing most of the real work. The men are fishing, hunting, or looking up in the air. Not much has changed.

Well, hunting, fishing (and building stuff) with only stone age tools is -- generally -- quite hard work, but not continous hard work. You paddle a canoe out into the pacific, catch halibut (they can weight several hundred kg) with a hand line and then paddle home. or first stalk a moose for a day or two, then butcher it *and carry the meat home*.

So once it was a *more or less* equitable. But then modern tools and modern hunting weapons came, and the mens work became easier. But not the womens work. So you are both right and wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE