Some homemade stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
I will be posting some of the gear I've made in the past and the stuff I'm working on, now. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. I want this stuff to be useful and practical.

Here is a firepouch I made lastnight. I borrowed heavily from my friend Bow on this design. I liked that it hangs below the belt and stays out of the way. (Contents: Two squares of tinfoil, tinder fungus in a ziplock, piece of fatwood and a flint.)

firekit1.jpg

firekit3.jpg

firekit2.jpg

Here is the latest knife I've been working on. It's a woodlore type... I really like the simple design. I've just completed the shaping stage. Next comes drilling for the handle slabs and then its time for heat treat.

woodlore.jpg

Here are some others... alot of you have seen these.

Neck knife
neckknife.jpg

Antler handled knife
myknife.jpg

Sheath and belt pouch
Knifenpouch.jpg

constantcompanions.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I love threads like this one!:D That fire pouch looks top notch to me mate! I like the way its stitched around the edges too, i havnt seen that before. I also like the way you have simply used the same peice of leather for the flap and for a belt holder. Nice wooden button there too!

May i ask what the tin foil and fatwood are for?

Thanks for showing!:D

Jon

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
Fatwood is pine wood that has a very high resin content. You can literally light a log of it with a match. If you scrape of light shavings, it ignites rather well with just a spark. The button is made of fatwood, too. There is approx. 8m of artificial sinew holding the pouch together and I stitched it in a way that will allow 5m to be unstrung with the pouch still intact.(great emergency cordage) The tinfoil has many uses... You can form it into a cup for boiling or cooking... it can be used to make charcloth in or to protect your tinder from wind or the wet ground... lots of possibilities. Thanks for the comments
Rick

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I got to the end of the thread and thought, "I wonder why the tinfoil?"
So not only have you answered my potential query, but the idea about the spare cordage is fantastic and praise-worthy.
I really like equipment like your pieces, Rick. Right from new, they are just begging to be taken out and used.

Very nice indeed.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE