Snugpak rocketpak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Snugpak rocketpak
my personal modifications.

this was all done in about 3 hours hand sewing, anyone can do it,

Many people agree that the Snugpak rocketpak is a nice bag with a few flaws:

1. Back too short causing the weight to sit high in unnatural position.
2. Not enough capacity.
3. Shoulder straps not adjustable (not even present)!
4. Nowhere to attach things to lid.

I have modified my pack with just a few straps and clips that have improved the comfort and usefulness of the sack tenfold!

1st modification:
To add adjustment to top of sack/shoulders to move the weight closer to the body a feature found on 90% of rucksacks that for an unknown reason has been negated on the Snugpak rocketpak.

I have simply stitched two 18” webbing straps to the shoulder straps (the reason for this length will become clear later) at the front of the shoulder, and these thread through two simple rucksack buckles fixed to the back of the loose material just below the top pocket on the side of the buckle is a simple “D” ring.

When the strap runs through the buckle you can adjust how close/high the Snugpak rocketpak sits to your shoulders as on any other rucksack.

2nd modification:
To add 2 further “D” rings to the opposite side (front) of the top pocket, 6” apart 1” above the zip. Now you can carry a sleeping mat or something else on the lid of your Snugpak rocketpak.

3rd Modification:
Fit Fastex clips to the side compression straps, this allows you quick access to the side pouches (or jetpacks), and allows you to attach them without having to thread the straps though buckles, not so bad but imagine doing it in the dark or wind!

4th modification:
This is the most complicated modification, I found I always wanted just that extra few litres that the Snugpak rocketpak, does not allow, especially during winter months.

I have taken an Olive Green PLCE Bergen side pouch (mine is an old medical pouch but a standard one will work), I have added four male Fastex clips to the sides of my Snugpak rocketpak lid, so the PLCE Bergen side pouch will clip to the top of the Snugpak rocketpak, to stop it slipping forwards and backwards I have added 2 adjustable Fastex clips front and back of the lid with an amount of adjustment to allow different bulk in the top pocket.
And finally I have added 2 rucksack buckles to the side (facing the back of my head), so the long straps from the shoulder straps (I mentioned in 1st modification) reach and this adds to the stability and allows heavier loads to be carried in the PLCE Bergen side pouch. The strap I sewed the buckles on with I left as an open loop which acts as a hand carrying loop, not strong enough to carry the whole Bergen but useful when sorting gear. I have already used mine to carry Bushcraft kit on a walk.

5th modification:
The last modification is only a little one but allows for more variation, all I have done is add 2 male clips to the top rear outside lip of the main compartment, this allows any “single” side pouch (or jetpack) to hang at the rear of the Snugpak rocketpak, the main part of the hanging pouch can be contained in the elastic straps or a simple utility strap can hold it in place.
Main uses I can see for this could be something to carry very light items such as a small sleeping mat, lightweight waterproofs, it’s important heavy things are not carried this way because A) it’s not strong enough, and B) the weight could pull the whole rucksack back unbalancing you and causing back problems.

conclusion.
As a finished item, I have used PLCE utility straps and PLCE side pouch straps, which are almost identical to the straps used on the Snugpak rocketpak, and nothing looks out of place.
The whole system is easier to pack, and use as a normal rucksack and even sits better on my back (a good 6” taller) due to the adjustable shoulder straps.

The PLCE Bergen side pouch, uses the same clips and again is very similar in colour and can be zipped to the main rucksack.

the only problem you will find is that the waterproof cover will not fit over the extra side pouch but you could carry it untill the rain subsides.

be aware my suggestions may effect the warrenty of the rucksack!

all that is needed is:
1 olive green PLCE side pouch(PlCE medical pouches open sideways so work well as a top pocket)
2 PLCE utility straps (the softer the better).
2 PLCE side pouch straps (the ones with 3 Male clips, again the softer the better).
2 extra 1" buckles (simular to the Plce utility straps).
4 1" "D" rings.
4 1" Fastex clips (like the ones that close the main compartment).
1 strong needle
very strong thread.

I hope that I will get some pictures to show details soon.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
RAPPLEBY2000 said:

..... and probably make it into a superior sack.
I'd really like to see some pic's of this as im thinking about getting a small pack and had been wondering about these.
If you need someone to host pic's just PM me.

rb

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've taken the photo's with a digital camera but have no idea how to get them on to the BCUK site or even the Internet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE