snugpak elite 5.... Anyone got any views on it or experiance of dossing in it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 15, 2010
Wherever needed
How do fellas,

Just wondered if anyone had used the snugy elite 5 and had any thoughts on it?

I'm in the market for a cheap and cheerful warmish (most nights will be below -10/-15ish) synth doss bag, that I wouldn’t mind leaving if needed…. I’ll be buying one or two just in case.

None of my mates have used this bag, as it aint Gucci enough for em the chuffing posers, so thought people on here maybe a good source of info?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

Ta

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I had one but shifted on.It was very warm and I was never cold in it,even when used at -4 in a hammock without any insulation underneath.
The reason I shifted it was because of the weight and bulk.It was just more than I wanted to carry.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
i have a elite 5 cracking bag used in below -10 never got cold in a bivi yes they are heavyish and big but if you try you can get them small enough to fit in the bottom of a bergan exellant winter bag all you will need

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have an Elite 3 which i think is brilliant. Its had four years hard military use and still going well. The expanding baffle is cracking- love having more room inside (so i can bring my knees up). Its kept me warm throughout the year (when i'm wearing all my kit+ a softie jacket) in combination with a bivi bag. For very cold snowy nights in the civvy world, i combine it with a Softie 3 merlin sleeping bag (the really tiny one) over the top, and the two together always keep me warm. I would honestly consider buying two sleeping bags like this to use in combination, or on their own- lots more flexibility!

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
I have an Elite 3 which i think is brilliant. Its had four years hard military use and still going well. The expanding baffle is cracking- love having more room inside (so i can bring my knees up). Its kept me warm throughout the year (when i'm wearing all my kit+ a softie jacket) in combination with a bivi bag. For very cold snowy nights in the civvy world, i combine it with a Softie 3 merlin sleeping bag (the really tiny one) over the top, and the two together always keep me warm. I would honestly consider buying two sleeping bags like this to use in combination, or on their own- lots more flexibility!

I have two Elite 3 bags (one for me and one for the missus) and using the EPS I have manages to zip them both together to make one large bag!! Not actually needed to use them as one yet but was well chuffed that it worked! It's a bit fidily with the zips (the two bags create a double zip system slightly offset from one another) but certainly not enough to put me off the combo! Toasty!!

Ps. Would be really interested to see how the double Elite 3 combo performs relative to say an Elite 5 or something similar.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have two Elite 3 bags (one for me and one for the missus) and using the EPS I have manages to zip them both together to make one large bag!! Not actually needed to use them as one yet but was well chuffed that it worked! It's a bit fidily with the zips (the two bags create a double zip system slightly offset from one another) but certainly not enough to put me off the combo! Toasty!!
Wolf- what an excellent idea! I too was so impressed by mine that i bought a second one for my wife. I'll be trying that idea out tonight! Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2015
canada
So it mai seem over the top but ive considered the following setup, anyone able to add some points / advice? is asimilar setup and how cold do you think itll go? Im looking at being in northern canada moosonee area.

From Inside out:
Snugpak thermalon liner
Snugpak fleece liner
Snugpak silk liner
Softie elite 5
Tennier bivy bag.

This is likely going to be smaller than the mil issued setup but i feel will work better to my advantage... itll be in a valise bag strapped to the bottom og my bergen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE