Snowdonia in February

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would think that, in view of global warming and how rarely any of Snowdonias winter features come in to condition these days, that Welsh Winter Mountaineering Equipment now comprises a wetsuit and flippers!
When I think back on the winters I lived and worked in Outdoor Persuits it was glorious - you went from endless sunny days of Spring and summer to crisp frosts of Autumn to ice climbs and corniced ridges overnight! I am suprised that there was enough water to keep the rivers in prime condition as it never seemed to rain in those days...
Seriously - get to Pen y Pass and "if there is snow - don't go" unless you have the gear and training. Equally "if theres rain - its a pain" and "if there is sun - you will get it done" - but get a good forcast as mountain weather is a tricky thing and I too have had my epics in Snowdonia (and I am suppost to know what I am doing!)
Stay safe but have fun!

Spot on about the weather John. I remember years ago you would find ice and bits of snow even around Easter time. Many a happy weekend was spent there in the winter, and you could have some glorious cold but sunny days walking the hills. Back then, when younger, fitter and more foolish, we would think nothing of camping up in the Carnedd's in winter:rolleyes: Do you remember whole tinned whole chickens? Being an only child, my mom would get me one if I was camping on a Sunday to make sure I had a 'proper lunch' :eek: Tinned chicken, surprise peas and Yeoman dried spud, great stuff :)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
if you can dress properly, dont mind turning back at any moment and pack a sense of humour i'd definitely go - people do get into trouble and we've all sen peopl esetting of in flip flops etc, but i'm all for eating dirt and getting scraps and bruises. I've been up pen y fan in some heavy-ish weather and its been great. depends on what you mean by bad weather i suppose, but i always say 'go for it' (but dont waste the s&r peoples time with blatantly poor prep)

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
my advice to your friend would be to learn to use a map and compass before venturing out onto the mountains. I agree with Siecroz about the area behind Abergwyngreggin and Aber falls which is fantastic, and every time i have been there suprisingly quiet considering what outher areas of snowdonia are like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE