small tent - pole configuration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I do not know if this is any help to anyone else or anyone has tried it themselves,but I thought I should say.

I have a vango 200 helium, and have recently adjusted the pole configuration. Rather than having 3 poles on the sides then the elbows and then 3 along the top, I rejigged it to have 4 on the sides and one along the top.

The drawbacks are that the tent looses a bit of shape and the top is far narrower. On the plus side I think I have gained a full 20 cm in headroom. I know the banchee is popular and this may work with that.

Edit
banshee4.jpg

It's a banchee inner but, I cannot be bothered to undoo th poles on mine and re feed them again, twice. I've shortened the pole along the top and put the poles in the sides. Well worth it.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Pics please, and could you explain the pole arrangements (before and after) a bit more?

Thanks petro,

rorymax

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
IMG_20150109_095904.jpg20111015021-VangoHelium200-HalfOpen.JPGIMG_20150109_102020.jpg
I can't show you a picture of mine before but here is a similar picture. Afterwards shows the other alterations. I got my mom to turn it into a single skin tent and cut two very large open vents in to get rid of the stuffiness and increase ventilation a great deal, although it is a shelter and canget quite cooland windy. Over the tent now I just have a tarp to cover the vents, so basically the fly is now a water proof inner, so I do not get wet, or get drips. Condensation is greatly reduced as it's only where the tent gets wet that I get condensation and the tarp prevents this. On the otherside of the tarp is a silvered side for the hot sunny days. As you can see the poles are much higher, and with the inner removed head hight is a lot higher, probably by 15cm from 90 to 105cm plus the 10cm on the inner tent so i'm a good 10 inches better off in head hight. I get far less condensation than I used too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE