Single flame

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brynbach

Mar 1, 2005
North Wales
I've used reeds soaked in animal fats or vegetable oils as candles. Just take the reed and peel off all but a thin strip of the green outside which holds the pith together. Then soak in animal fat (I've used lamb and beef) and leave to harden. Light from your fire made by bow drill...

It also works with cordage in a container of fat that is liquid at room temp.

Any good :?:

Cheers
BB

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
A sulphur covered coctail stick (sulphur match) will flame direct from an ember in charcloth.
I have also had a piece of very dry punky wood go directly to flame from a spark. But only once and the punk had been oven dried.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
RobertsonPau said:
Jeff

Same site, another answer:

9. Matches: China, Sixth Century AD. The first version of the match was invented in 577 AD by impoverished court ladies during a military siege. Hard pressed for tinder during the siege, they could otherwise not start fires for cooking, heating, etc.
Paul

They're also not matches in our sense - they have to be lit from another source. they were just easy to light from a piece of smouldering tinder. More like a taper if anyone remebers those from chemistry....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE