Simple opinel mod for uk legal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
9d0a3a4e746a0da9a8d679553f5b859c.jpg

Made a small cut with the dremel. Let's me simply slide the locking ring off and put it in my bag.

0dcc9a984dd6532d002b3270f52bc73a.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/1200x/ef/9d/1b/ef9d1ba9c64bf8aa1a5e3dab806b514e.jpg

Simple and effective. Locking ring is 100% tight when on and locked. And when I'm done I can remove it.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
That's an interesting point. How locking is locking? Surely any folder some tools and a bit of work can render any knife a lock knife, so any knife is potentially a lock knife. Nice idea

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
That's an interesting point. How locking is locking? Surely any folder some tools and a bit of work can render any knife a lock knife, so any knife is potentially a lock knife. Nice idea
It was a lock knife when he started, now its UK legal until you use it. If you had good reason to use it, the fact it locks is largely irrelevant.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It was a lock knife when he started, now its UK legal until you use it. If you had good reason to use it, the fact it locks is largely irrelevant.

Dont thank me, its what I do.

I'm not thanking you, it's what you do.

Yes it originally had the lock ring I added a second slot to slide it off "in transit". It essentially lets me carry it all the time.

It's a good idea. Is it still a lock knife witha device for locking? If not this opens up a whole world of lockable knives if the device is carried seperatley. Is a barrel knife a locking knife as it doesn't fold?

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Is it still a lock knife witha device for locking?

I'm fairly sure that this has come up before in the dim and distant past ~ either on here or on British Blades and I'm fairly sure that the upshot was that if you remove the ring of an opinel and want make it the sub 3" UK EDC 'legal' then you need to not carry the locking ring ~ having the locking ring available to you means it's still capable of locking ~ if that makes sense? That it takes 'x' time to put it back to being a locker doesn't matter, just look how long it can take to take a multi-tool out of a sheath and deploy any tool or blade! :rofl:

Is a barrel knife a locking knife as it doesn't fold?

It folds to store and, in use, the handle prevents the blade from closing ~ so yes it is and yes it does :p :)

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I guess tho whole point is, that should I be stopped (unlikely) that I do not have a locking knife on my person. The law does not cover carrying "component parts" of a knife. It simply allows me to effectively carry a locking knife I know radon able excuse still allows it. But that's down to officers opinion and so on.

The locking ring when not in use fits onto the handle of my fero rod.

It does open up a lot of discussion tho. As essentially a similar thing could be made for any folding blade.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I guess tho whole point is, that should I be stopped (unlikely) that I do not have a locking knife on my person.

It's (generally) unlikely that you'll be stopped and searched ~ BUT you'd still be carrying a knife with a collar designed to lock it both open and shut. The crux of the matter is how the courts would view the knife with a component part removed, which you are/were carrying, which could be easily be put back in place.

The law does not cover carrying "component parts" of a knife.

"It's not a knife officer, it's a 3-D jigsaw!"?

I suspect that you're building your foundations on quicksand and, in your place, I'd be tempted to ask some of the lads and lasses in blue (now hi-viz yellow) their opinions.

Last edited:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
The firearms law prohibits the carrying of parts of a firearm, because several people could say that they don't have a
gun, but those involved could meet up and build up a gun. This could be the same principle. Applied to a locking knife.
I think you are skating on pretty thin ice on this one. I took the ring off of an Opinel I had thinking on the same lines as you, but was not going to carry the ring, just use the knife like a folder. While having many years experience with knives,
the first thing I did was cut myself badly, when it partly closed on me . It was then promptly binned.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Well until it becomes a stated case it's perfectly legal. Regardless of opinions. And yep, that's exactly why the law covers component parts of firearms. But as said, not a knife.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
And as was touched on earlier. With a tiny bit of duck tape and a 5p I could make any losing knife a lock knife. Does that mean that carrying coins and tape in my pocket along with a SAK means I'm carrying a lock back?

Which incidentally. I have a small amount of duck tape around an old bank card. And....coins!!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
And as was touched on earlier. With a tiny bit of duck tape and a 5p I could make any losing knife a lock knife. Does that mean that carrying coins and tape in my pocket along with a SAK means I'm carrying a lock back?

Which incidentally. I have a small amount of duck tape around an old bank card. And....coins!!

If it makes you happy, go for it :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

The firearms law prohibits the carrying of parts of a firearm, because several people could say that they don't have a
gun, but those involved could meet up and build up a gun. This could be the same principle. Applied to a locking knife.

A goup of you could each carry round one of;

A stone, a piece of steel, some scales, some pins, some resin.

And you could come together and make one. It's not bladed yet, but where is the line drawn. A flick knife is a fast acting locking bladed article. Where a barrel knife takes a bit of setting up.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I see no issue with it.

Does the knife lock in its current form? No

It is irrelevant that he has the ring with him, at the time it's not part of the knife. If I stopped/searched him I would not be concerned.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Had a chat with some of my colleagues (boys in luminous yellow now) and we are all of the opinion that it's not readily able I lock therefore isn't a locking knife.

And yes, where do we draw the line. In any case. It opened up some debate!

I'll leave at that and stick to just uploading photos and not legal debates :D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
you could turn any penknife into a fixed blade with a tube of superglue...

although a judge might find it falls within the Mischief Rule of Statutory Interpretation where the person charged is seen to be deliberatly trying to get round the legislation through devious means, doubt it would be the original charge but it might hamper a defence

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
you could turn any penknife into a fixed blade with a tube of superglue...

although a judge might find it falls within the Mischief Rule of Statutory Interpretation where the person charged is seen to be deliberatly trying to get round the legislation through devious means, doubt it would be the original charge but it might hamper a defence

With this new rule of no excuses 100% prosecutions, and a two strikes and jail rule that's shaky ground. Yet I can buy a 2.99 kitchen knife, with recipt and carry it all day long. Are you the solicitor corso?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE