Silly games we played as kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
What silly things did you play as kids? Thought I would ask on here before another thread gets completely hijacked!
We have had; Chicken,Split the kipper, and Knifey see the thread about101 things to do with a woodlore!
What other variations or new games are there?

Remember, anything is thread is probably not a good idea and I in no way condone or can be held responsible for any of the following silly antics :eek:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
While waiting for the fish to bite, we used to make bird traps with our landing nets, a stick, some line and bait (bread!).... We used to let 'em go.. seems kinda stupid now, we all had a good supply of sarnies, so we didn't need to catch 'em.. Mind you, the day my mate caught a squirrel was a laugh... Squirrel 10, Mate 0 :rolleyes:

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
we used to fire Fireworks out of a length of 40MM plumbing pipe! and imagined we were knocking out German Tiger Tanks.

we also made a 110mm mortar out of an old cast iron Stack Pipe, filled it with aerosol cans then lit a fire at the bottom. The mortar shell was a Cricket Ball :D

we had a misfire once, and the casing exploded!! lucky that no one died! :)

then I joined the army, and carried on blowing stuff up :)

the difference between men and boys, is the size of the toys!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I recall a story of an Artillery officer doing a blowpipe(Shoulder launched surface to air missile) simulation at a mess do. He used a pipe and a firework, unfortunately this was indoors, it landed in the curtains!
I transfered to a nice sane corps after that!

stormy

Jun 12, 2005
e. sussex
fishing with a twig and a worm attached to a piece of wool. caught some.
all i remember is my sisiter feeding me worms :) :eek:

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Whats that one where you stand opposite another kid with feet together, than you flick a SAK near to the other's feet. If it sticks into the ground the kid has to move a leg to that point, and then it's his turn...

Then when you have your legs far apart, you can try flicking the blade in-between :eek: the other kids legs, and then you can stand with legs together again. As I remember it gets a bit scary when you're the one with the knife flying towards your 'area' :eek: :p .

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
stoddy said:
thats why we call them "Drop Shorts" :D
Cloud punchers on missiles! Then I became a wedgehead!

Whats that one where you stand opposite another kid with feet together, than you flick a SAK near to the other's feet. If it sticks into the ground the kid has to move a leg to that point, and then it's his turn...
Split the kipper!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Moving targets; two kids each with bows and an unlimited supply of arrows. Shoot for your brother and run away before his arrow reaches you.....'cept the little bu&&er that was my bother (sorry brother!) tipped his arrows with hammered over copper pipe cut into a point......I've still got a scar between my ribs. He says he still has nightmares of me running up the garden with the arrow bobbing out of my chest yelling," MUM!", and thinking to himself, "Oh no. She's going to tell." He only got me because his arrows were faster than mine. ;)

Kamikazi: down the slope of the bing on a Tunnocks breadboard and trying to get up enough speed to carry over the 'canyon', a 30' deep and 10' wide gap a bulldozer had cut through the side. :D

Weir walk: Trying to cross the Clyde in spate by clambering over the weir.

Climb the pipe; Crawling through the pipe that covered the burn under the main road and paths to sneak into the golf course.

Cross the field: The bull was chained to the tractor but it still scared us...and one day the tractor wasn't there......... :eek:

It's amazing we're still alive, really......but childhood was exciting then, not just tv and designer trainers which are sad and boring :p There was something wrong with a day which didn't have an adrenaline rush in it somewhere, even if it was just running away from getting into trouble. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I remember there was an old railway tunnel about 50-60 metres long nearby that got filled in when I was about 10, it was left for over 6 months with just enough space to crawl through at the apex. We used torches preferably with batteries but I did it at least once with a screwed up newspaper that went out after about ten metres.
Jumping off the school roof, I am sure it has got higher now, no way would I do it now!
I would ground my kids for ever if I caught them doing the stuff we used to!

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
We played so many games as a kid, living on a housing estate we used to make our own fun.

Run Outs: "top end" Vs "bottom end"
2 teams of up to 25 kids each, running around catching teh other team then holding them in the "base" , their "live" team mates could run in and set them free again...
That game used to last hours!

Tin can monkey:
variation of "buzz me" / "1.2.3.4.5" but with a coke can... someone's "it" then one of the other players kicks the coke can as hard as he can and everyone runs and hides... then the "it" has to find the others and get to the base and then hit the can on the floor shouting "TIN CAN MONKEY <person they've seen name>" then the others sit at the base until everyone is caught, or if someone is brave they can run in and kick the can and free everyone again...... very funny as a kid.

Tree houses... abseiling down a 20 metre cliff, with a peice of wrought iron bent into a W, padded with cushions, using odds and ends of rope tied together and the knots covered over in masking tape...... crazy..

Still live up the same estate, never seen any kids out playing any games that get you out of breath... to busy inside on their Xbox's and PC's ... oh well.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Take a blackwidow slingshot and a roll of andrex. Then tear two pieces off the roll and dip it into the stream.Roll the paper into a little ball squeezing the water out. Do this repeatedly until your pocket is full of small balls. Then apply cam cream and make teams. Then allow a couple of minutes to disperse and then let the fighting begin. It really was excellent fun and was the alternative to paintball.

Julian.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Giancarlo said:
We played so many games as a kid, living on a housing estate we used to make our own fun.

Run Outs: "top end" Vs "bottom end"
2 teams of up to 25 kids each, running around catching teh other team then holding them in the "base" , their "live" team mates could run in and set them free again...
That game used to last hours!

We knew a similar game to this as "De Làvio" (well, it was never written down, but that was the shout that started the game). It got banned from the comprehensive school playground, because of too many injuries and torn uniforms.

We used to play "British Bulldog" in the Cubs and Scouts, until it got banned for being too violent. So the name was changed to "Daisy Chains". :p

Then that was banned too. :(

Giancarlo said:
Tin can monkey:
variation of "buzz me" / "1.2.3.4.5" but with a coke can... someone's "it" then one of the other players kicks the coke can as hard as he can and everyone runs and hides... then the "it" has to find the others and get to the base and then hit the can on the floor shouting "TIN CAN MONKEY <person they've seen name>" then the others sit at the base until everyone is caught, or if someone is brave they can run in and kick the can and free everyone again...... very funny as a kid.

This was called Kick Can Lurgy where I lived.

Giancarlo said:
Still live up the same estate, never seen any kids out playing any games that get you out of breath... to busy inside on their Xbox's and PC's ... oh well.

It went downhill when there were just too many cars in the streets, parked taking up space (and getting damaged) and then driving around, meant that the kids just couldn't play like that any more. Then along came video games, and that put a stop to everything.

Keith.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
The games we played were

kick the can (as above)
searchlight ( hide and seak with a torch) only in winter
chap door run
soldiers or cowboys and indians - two teams with various types of weapon, bows and arrows, catypults, sticks etc.
Dam dare - this was one of my favourite as it involved daring someone to walk along the outside/inside/face of the dam. Big rush if you slipped when you got near the top. I learnt how to abseil here when I was in the Scouts, it wasn't that scary when you had already climbed up and down without a rope the night/weekend before.
Football with either a ball or a can or a rolled up piece of newspaper wrapped in packing tape.
Fond memories.

Cheers

JFW

stormy

Jun 12, 2005
e. sussex
not my story, more my dads. when he was 12
they found some granades, (where i havent the faintest) and decided to go fishing, unsure of how long the timer was, they just thought what the hell, the first one blew up as it flew, the second one took out a tree and the third one, well lets just say they were eating fish for about a week.
:D

Rick

Jun 26, 2005
Brighton
Space invaders, it involved several kids running up and down a lawn making the ugh-ugh space invaders noise, then the defender throwing clumps of soil from the garden trying to hit them before they got near.

Also when the fields had been plowed two teams making barracades out of bales opposite eachother and tearing stubble with clumps of soil from the ground and hurling them at each other. Great fun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE