Show us your camper kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
This seems abit random but I am as the previous thread really pushing towards a camper van, possibly towards the VW 4motion rather than a sprinter 4x4, but the question I have is what kit do you need? Pots pans all the non bolt in things.

The reason im asking is someone suggested that the camper conversion can be heavy so you have to watch out for overloading the vehicle and take all modifications and stuff you put in the van into consideration in case you get pulled by the cops.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Never owned a camper, but i've stayed in everything from a converted royal mail van with a bed and cooker, to a VW to a gigantic RV with a bath bigger than the one in my house :lmao:

What you need depends on how much comfort you want and what your budget will stretch to

You can literally do anything you want with a conversion, build a helipad on the back, or just chuck a matress on the floor of an old van

Overloading the vehicle relates to items which might fall off the van while driving, and what your driving licence says you can drive in terms of weight; as long as the completed van passes an MOT and the vehicle can physically handle the weight while still being drivable, you can do pretty much what you want (check out Top Gears DIY camper conversions for humerous ideas of what not to do lol)

Look up "pimp my camper" in google image search to for inspiration :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I don't have any experience with conversions but as a van driver for work let me suggest you do your best to distribute the weight as evenly as possible with the majority over the back axle. Thinking things like fresh and waste water tanks, gas bottles, etc. It'll make a huge difference in handling.

You don't have much weight to play with, generally only about a tonne IIRC. I drive a box sprinter and AFAIK the maximum payload (to get to 3.5t) is only about 900kg. Material choice and fitting choice will easily put you near that upper limit.

If you want comfort I'd suggest you go for a 7.5t license. I have friends who converted an old prison transport 7.5t truck and it's basically a mini house inside. Proper fitted, tiled kitchen, cast iron stove, actual couch, actual bed. They had considered a 3.5t build but didn't think it was realistic for the comfort they wanted.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Good advice given already - I can only 'second' the comments re. weight. A few years ago I saw an advert for a camper - I wasn't actually seriously looking for a camper but the price was great so I went to have a look. It was a high-roofed Transit and the conversion had been done by the owner, a shop-fitter, and very tidy it was too with plenty of clever storage including each side at head height. I was ready to buy it - until I took a test drive. Sluggish up moderate hills and swaying like a ship going round roundabouts. Tyre rubbed in the wheel arch more than once. The problem became obvious. The guy had built it like he was building regular furniture/shelves/cupboards. The conversion was way too heavy. My guess is he never took it out until the conversion was finished, so never spotted the problem until it was too late.
What you could do is sketch out your design in detail, do a list of materials (you'll need this to order materials anyway) and then figure out the weights of all the materials. Add some for the contents, people and a contingency and see if it works. If you look inside a professionally converted van you'll see that all the materials they use are pretty lightweight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE