Sheaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

As some of you know I do a little leatherwork, I recently was asked to make a sheath for a frosts clipper with a firsteel loop, now I used to be a fan of firesteel loops, but have gone of them. Here is a pic of the finished article.
bcuksheathps2.jpg

What do you guys think, I normally go for dangler, but was asked for a straight forward belt loop on this one.

U

unused[nl]

I hate firesteel loops on sheaths personaly.

I don't have a knife with a fixed blade myself (I know I should be ashamed, just found out about bushcraft you know) but I think it would be of much use.. having your firesteel next to your knife, two things you need to pay extra attention on, hanging next to each other. So why don't you like them?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
unused[nl];293737 said:
I don't have a knife with a fixed blade myself (I know I should be ashamed, just found out about bushcraft you know) but I think it would be of much use.. having your firesteel next to your knife, two things you need to pay extra attention on, hanging next to each other. So why don't you like them?

Nothing to be ashamed of Unused, we all start out somewhere. As for the like/dislike thing, while it is a good idea to keep your two most important tools close together, there is an arguement against getting your firesteel wet. A short soaking will have no effect, but if it remains wet for any length of time (like stored in a wet leather sheath after it has been raining) they corrode away to nothing in as little as a few months. Some folk prefer to wear their firesteel on a neclace inside your shirt - you have to think about it much more often and you're unlikely to let it stay wet.

ATB

Ogri the trog

U

unused[nl]

Nothing to be ashamed of Unused, we all start out somewhere. As for the like/dislike thing, while it is a good idea to keep your two most important tools close together, there is an arguement against getting your firesteel wet. A short soaking will have no effect, but if it remains wet for any length of time (like stored in a wet leather sheath after it has been raining) they corrode away to nothing in as little as a few months. Some folk prefer to wear their firesteel on a neclace inside your shirt - you have to think about it much more often and you're unlikely to let it stay wet.

ATB

Ogri the trog

hmm ok that sounds smart but, your knife doesn't like it either when it gets wet I think.. so just don't let your sheath become wet I think..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE