Sharpening with teardrop shaped stone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Recently I purchased a crookknife (at Karl's summesale), with which came a teardrop shaped Japanese waterstone (1000 grit).

Slipstone2.jpg

Pic from www.survivalschool.co.uk

Is it possible to sharpen your (bushcraft) knife with this kind of shaped stone? If so, in what way?
I know how to shapen a knife on a normal rectangular shaped stone, but have absolutely no idea on how to do it with this one -due to it's shape :rolleyes:
Anyone out there who could tell me please?

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
You've got a nice flat surface there to use much the same as you would any small sharpening stone. It's probably the same area as you'd get on a Fallkinven DC4.

You might not be able to sharpen the whole length of the blade in one pass but that's not too important. and obviously, you need to wet the waterstone ;)

leon-1

Justin Time said:
You've got a nice flat surface there to use much the same as you would any small sharpening stone. It's probably the same area as you'd get on a Fallkinven DC4.

Johan, by the looks of it that is a japanese water slipstone (1000grit) as Andrew has said you can use it as a conventional waterstone (they are actually slightly larger than a DC4). Just think of it as a DC4 wet it and hold the stone to the flat of the blade if you have a scandi grind.

It will give impressive results, I have used mine on both an axe and on knives and find it very good for maintaining an edge :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-1 said:
Johan, by the looks of it that is a japanese water slipstone (1000grit) as Andrew has said you can use it as a conventional waterstone (they are actually slightly larger than a DC4). Just think of it as a DC4 wet it and hold the stone to the flat of the blade if you have a scandi grind.

It will give impressive results, I have used mine on both an axe and on knives and find it very good for maintaining an edge :D

Thanks Leon!
Thought there was special kind of special technique for using it :D :rolleyes: Don't know what grind the blade is I've got ... It's a Mora training knife Clipper - by Frosts:

clipper%2Egif

(What would be the difference between flat grind and scandi (... and sabre)? IRC they are the same / identical, just a different name for the same thing?? Link to a piccie would be great, as I'm more of a person who needs visualisation ;))

Another question:
I've seen the sharpening stones by Coghlan's. Anyone knows if they are any good, and what their grits (it's a combination stone: a silver(ish) grey side and a lighter brown(ish) side) are please? (Hoodoo??? ;) :p :D )

The package says coarse and fine grit ... so, would that be something like 6000 and 1000 grit (if you would compare it with the combination stone from Survival School)?

7945.gif

Justin Time said:
(...) obviously, you need to wet the waterstone ;)

I knew I did something wrong :p ;) :D
Cheers mate!

leon-1

Hi Johan, firstly grinds. A scandi or sabre grind has a flat bevel from about mid depth of the the blade from the spine to the edge so yes it is flat ground, but it has a much steeper angle than a full flat grind.

A full flat grind would be effectively a flat bevel from the spine to the edge, this gives a shallower angle and provides a fine edge.

The scandi has some very good points in as much as it is easy to maintain the edge and the edge is very strong because of the steeper angle.

Right secondly, never used one of the coghlans stones, but as far as grit levels are concerned you are more likely to find them as being 250 grit and 1000 grit as a combination stone being the coarse and fine side of life.

Hope this is of use, Leon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE