Scouting and The Institute of Leadership and Management.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The following is taken from the Coventry Scout County Information Bulletin.

Ever thought of the Institute of Leadership and Management?

Once a learner has gained their Wood Badge, they are entitled to apply to become a member of the Institute of Leadership and Management, so why not get recognition for your hard earned wood-badge in the world outside of Scouting?

The Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) is the UK’s largest awarding body for management and leadership qualifications. ILM is also a professional body that supports its 17,000 members at all stages in their leadership and management career. ILM recognises the leadership and management skills that you have developed within The Scout Association and will help to develop these further for use outside your scouting role.

As the Scout Association is a corporate member of the ILM you, as a Wood Badge holder, can now gain all the benefits of individual ILM membership – at a preferential rate.

Membership Grades.

If you have just gained your Wood Badge you can apply for membership at the grade of Associate Member (AMInstLM).

Three years after gaining your Wood Badge , if you have continued in a role within The Scout Association where you lead young people or adults, you can apply for membership at, or upgrade to, the more senior grade of Member (MInstLM). This grade recognises your further learning and experience. Alternatively, you can apply for the grade of Member if, in addition to the Wood Badge and your experience as an adult in Scouting, you have other management qualifications and experience – please provide details on your application form.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with or invested interests in ILM.

Just to repeat ... the info above is verbatim - and it encompasses the sum of my knowledge on the subject of ILM.

Hope this helps and thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Just stumbled on this while searching for ILM refs on Google! What an excellent concept! I have a memory of sitting with my then boss many years ago and having him ridicule me (he wasn't a very good boss!) when I told him I'd just completed my Wood Badge.

That was the late '90's and I was very much of the view at the time that the learning on that course was far better than the so-called "management programme" I was doing within the company we worked for at the time.

I wish the ILM link had been active then as it was another 10 years before I was able to join ILM and then on the basis of having jumped thro quite a few other hoops to qualify. A very worthwhile recognition of the high value of getting the beads!

Mike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE