scout camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I did a firemaking evening with the scouts last week, one guy managed with a little help to get an ember and then blew it up to a flame. Others had a go at sparks, batteryand wire wool etc. All went ok, and we're following it with firelighting at the camp site this week... Hoping to try bread or bannocks

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
The past few years, I've had to go along to play the bagpipes for the local Beavers on Burns' Night. They cook instant mash, neaps and real haggis - but Badger (the leader) tells them it is just sausage - that way they eat it.

Funny how the main thing they are interested in is the weaponry. I'm wearing full No. 1 kit and they all know about the little Sgean Dhu in the sock. Then they see the dirk on my right hip. And then for the finale they discover the claymore on the left hip.

Eyes popping out of sockets. :cool:

Geoff

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Great stuff.

My son loves his Scout camps. Digging toilets, chopping firewood and cooking on the resulting fire.

At one camp he burnt his leg really badly on the first morning cooking his bacon and sausages on an open fire. When I picked him up ten days later he had a huge burn on his leg but there was no way he was going to let a huge burn stop him camping for ten days. (No whining phone calls home.) :) The Scouts in charge had done a pretty good job of tending his wound in the wild and he just carried on.

I took him to a clinic after I picked him up and he had to have several changes of special dressings for a week. I wasn't too fussed about the wound, it was just best in my opinion to get it seen to seeing that I could. I think it's great that at twelve (thirteen now) he gets the chance to do these things and make these kind of mistakes.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Glad to see that there are still some sensible parents who see an accident for what it is and keep things in proportion, sorryto hear about the accident though and hope all is well again with your laddie, So many folk go running to their Lawyer the minute there is a misshap, They forget that the Leaders are giving up their time week in and week out to
provide a learning experience for young people often whose parents will not even turn up for the annual Parents'' Night and with the best will in the world the odd accident will ofcourse happen no matter how well prepared one tries to be.. I gave up Mountain Rescue work because Teams were being Sued after they rescued some one because
they had ended up with injuries following their misshap. How sad can people get.?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Glad to see that there are still some sensible parents who see an accident for what it is and keep things in proportion, to hear about the accident though and hope all is well again with your laddie, So many folk go running to their Lawyer the minute there is a misshap, They forget that the Leaders are giving up their time week in and week out to
provide a learning experience for young people often whose parents will not even turn up for the annual Parents'' Night and with the best will in the world the odd accident will ofcourse happen no matter how well prepared one tries to be.. I gave up Mountain Rescue work because Teams were being Sued after they rescued some one because
they had ended up with injuries following their misshap. How sad can people get.?

Thats sad ol smokey im sorry you felt you had to give up mountain rescue, myself and a friend were very grateful of the outstanding service people like yourself provide (mate fell and hurt his back carried down in a stretcher) :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE