scottish canoe trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
hi everyone,
im from glasgow and recently purchased a canoe on ebay ( not a bad price..lol) and fancy a trip in scotland that would give me a few days away from it all in the wilderness where i could put any bushcraft to use. do any of you suggest any lochs that would be suitable or have any of you done such a trip as i plan to do. your suggestions would be most welcome.

many thanks
james

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Welcome James

There has recently been a Scottish Meet and a canoe trip is one of the options for another meet so keep your eyes open for that.

Regarding trips on your own Loch Lomond is a good area and the islands off Balmaha are good for wild camping and Bushcrafting. If you want more info you can send me a PM but I am away for a few days so do not be surprised if it is a while before you get a reply.

Once again welcome (it might be an idea to post a quick intro in the Introduction section)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Canoes are great for extended trips as you can carry shed loads of gear and food and beer and wine. I was meant to be on the river Wye this month for a week long trip but ive fractured me ribs and can only sit in front of the telly or pc good luck. Watch out for Nessie.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Open canoes on Ebay seem to generate a bidding frenzy... and then some - so congratulations on your new purchase. Now I'm not competing against James I may be able to join you shortly! :p

I would echo Sandbender - the SCA are pretty good. I have their new book - hundred plus canoe routes in Scotland covered and would recommend it.

Good luck and happy paddling

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Bothyman

Genuinely covers whole of Scotland.

Having a quick look at the index page - whole book is zoned into about 18 regions. The 4 zones listed as far North cover 36 routes - though a fair number of split rivers - eg 1-3 are the Thurso upper/lower/middle.

Plus there are several cross Scotland routes listed including -

Laxford Bridge to Bonar Bridge
Inverkirkaig to BB
Loch Maree to Conon Bridge

So safe to say the true Heil'anmen are reasonably covered. ;)

Now if I can just find a flippin reasonably priced canoe......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE