Schrade Knife for Crimble!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Hi everyone!

Knowing that I was after a new knife, a friend of mine bought me an "Old Timer" knife for christmas from Schrade - see http://www.knivesplus.com/ under "old timer knives" \ "outfitter old timer knife"

I estimate that it weighs a little over twice the weight of the practice knife that Woodlore sells(the knife I'm currently using), with a blade twice as thick. The weight feels odd in comparison, and I'm still getting used to the balance. The handle is rubber with a contoured grip. I was reasonably sharp from the box, but I've yet to be able to test how keen the edge, and how long it stays that way.

I have little or no real knoweledge of knife evaluation, so would appreciate it if anyone who has any experience of this company or its knives could share it here.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
As I say, the weight and balance are taking a bit of getting used to; but the grip feels solid as a rock, and it produces more sparks from an artificial flint than anything I've seen before!

One thing I have found though: the sheaf is an EXCEPTIONALLY tight fit, a bit of a struggle to get out sometimes - which could lead to safety issues if I'm not careful I suppose.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
It is said that "Schrade+ stainless steel" is most likely 420HC. Certainly not one of the 'super steels,' but my experience is that they will take a very sharp edge quite easily and hold it a reasonable length of time. Like SAKs, Opinels and Moras, Schrades are one of the best knife values out there, IMO. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE