Saws revisited

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
At the Dartmoor meet last weekend I had the opportunity to put my trusty Bahco Lapplander up against the large of the Opinel Folding saws and if I'm honest the Lapplander came second. This was for two reasons; the blade is longer so less strokes needed and the teeth were much larger = less effort. Similar price as well.

It made think about the two other saws purchased specifically for bushcraft, packable and idiot proofI have which is a wire saw (non-issue) and the Ultimate Survival Sabre Saw.

Now the wire saw sits in my survival pouch, which sits in the bottom of my day sack, along with my Leatherman Wave and has never been used.

The Sabre is quite good but hard work to use and therefore tends to stay at home.

So what saws do people use as their regular saw?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use the orange "gardening" version of the laplander for most jobs, large stuff gets the attention of my bahco/sandvik 20" (or maybe its 22") bowsaw.

Never tried the opinel saw yet.

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hmmm it depends really...
I keep a 24 inch bowsaw in the Landy along with the Laplander. Both get used but probably the bowsaw slightly more. Weight/ size isn't a problem of course.
If I'm just going for a walk and I see a stick I like the look of I use my SAK or a Leatherman.

So, as I said - it depends really...

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I seem to have gone saw crazy lately. I have the WS pruning saw from B & Q as well as a larger one from Draper. I liked these but was still looking. Then I bought one of the Sawvivor saws (see HERE) This cuts much better but the blade is a non standard size so I then discovered and ordered a Trail Blazer Buck Saw (See HERE) This has a standard size blade but it is a modified blade. Also it is not exactly light. Not a problem in the canoe but still a disadvantage. Ideally the 18" version of the Sawvivor would be ideal. The folding Bow Saws are really far more efficient than the pruning saws.

Think about it. If the cut is half the thickness you are removing half the wood and using half the energy to cut.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
MagiKelly said:
I seem to have gone saw crazy lately. I have the WS pruning saw from B & Q as well as a larger one from Draper. I liked these but was still looking. Then I bought one of the Sawvivor saws (see HERE) This cuts much better but the blade is a non standard size so I then discovered and ordered a Trail Blazer Buck Saw (See HERE) This has a standard size blade but it is a modified blade. Also it is not exactly light. Not a problem in the canoe but still a disadvantage. Ideally the 18" version of the Sawvivor would be ideal. The folding Bow Saws are really far more efficient than the pruning saws.

Think about it. If the cut is half the thickness you are removing half the wood and using half the energy to cut.
These look interesting MK, doesn't mention a price though ...

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
moduser said:
So what saws do people use as their regular saw?

Cheapy[1] Lidl folders(pretty good), a cheapy[1] B&Q folder(cr@p) and a cheapy[1] B&Q bowsaw in the car for if I come across a fallen tree to nick bits off :D

Jim.

[1] Something of a common theme, methinks.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
When I posted my reply I'd quite forgotten the saw on most of my SAK's, but if I'm honest they are pobably the ones that get the most use ,in an opportunistic sort of way, because there's nearly always one in my pocket.

Dave

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Buckshot said:
These look interesting MK, doesn't mention a price though ...

Buck saw is about $30 - $50 including postage to UK. Sawvivor is a not much different. Of course you have set me searching again and I like the look of this

http://www.duluthpack.com/store/product_detail.asp?SelectedCategory=c&SubCategoryId=c1&Product=Folding%20Saw

looks to take a standard 24" blade and there is a version on other sites selling one that takes a standard 21" blade. Could be the one. I have emailed for stock and postage details.

leon-1

MagiKelly said:
Buck saw is about $30 - $50 including postage to UK. Sawvivor is a not much different. Of course you have set me searching again and I like the look of this

http://www.duluthpack.com/store/product_detail.asp?SelectedCategory=c&SubCategoryId=c1&Product=Folding%20Saw

looks to take a standard 24" blade and there is a version on other sites selling one that takes a standard 21" blade. Could be the one. I have emailed for stock and postage details.

John, I have seen and used bucksaws that have been made from the materials around me (apart from the blade and some cord). The blade is normally carried inside a billy can. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've seen some saws made by that chap Stanley. They are a fixed blade of around 9 inches or so, and come with a sheath with belt loop. Looks like an overgrown pukko sheath. Sell for about £10, but no idea if they're any good or not??

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Silky folding saws ever time.
I have several . I the one I use most is a bit bigger than the fat boy it has its own rubber sheath . Most of you wont go for it as saw and sheath are purple! But I never lose it in the grass.
DICK tools have plenty www.dick.biz In fact there cat is like a bible in our house

I also like the military pocket chain saws great in a tight space

Swamp Donkey

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Always been a big fan of Gerber tools and recently got hold of the exchange-a-blade saw
really comfortable in the hand and cuts really well - like the fact that it has 2 styles of blade too - carry a couple of spares in the sheath http://www.attacc.com/scripts/sh000...rough_Accessories_Explorer.html#a46036#a46036
I also carry one of these in the box in the car
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20289&name=folding saw&sfile=1&jump=0
and yes the silky's are as good as people say they are - just that this one wont sit on my belt like the gerber

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Silky hand saws are used a lot by professional Arboriculturists. I suspect because they are well made, good steel, good product design, good rubber grip and also give a very clean cut, which is important to reduce any damage to a living tree.

After hunting around a bit I found Abbey Pro based in the SW of the UK and with a good selection of Silky and other arb kit to be reasonably priced and very good customer service.

You can get both green wood and dead wood blades for most of their saws which is useful. For a light weight hand saw which cuts very well and is very sharp, the Silky 'PocketBoy' available in different sizes, is a good choice.

My only complaint after some hard use is that the blade can be a bit tight ot close after a while which is sorted with a drop of oil. Also I managed to break the tip off the blade cutting some green hazel coppice. The blade is thin which gives a fine cut but also makes it a bit more vulnerable to torquing. It is more a question of using good technique.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE