Rough Close 'Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend' Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Due to unforeseen circumstances I could’t make a full visit to Rough Close so I had to make do with a quickie – just a 2 hour or so visit on Saturday afternoon.

Really glad I did – it was great to see so many great people again in one place. Here are just some of them:

CIMG6862.JPG

As regards bushcrafty things I:

· Saw about 4 different types of stove –‘ in the flesh’ that I had’t seen before
· Got the opportunity to handle some knives that were different to types I have myself
· Saw the ‘cotton wool pads dipped in melted wax’fire lighters that I had seen some reference to somewhere but - again – not seen in the flesh
· Had a good suggestion on a mod to my Swiss army volcano stove – want to have go at it when I have some free time to see if it works(either way I will post the results but only give credit to the suggestor if it does!!)

PS - It was Wayland's idea and my go at doing it is at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91850&p=1107285#post1107285

· Had a chance to try out the ‘walking in a straight line when blindfolded’ test, and remind myself about setting up a hammock - thanks Wayland for these
· Received a shotgun cartridge matchbox – thanks Paul

And picked up some other tips that I want to try out. Not bad for such a short visit – and made me wish even more that I could have been there for my planned weekend visit, and convinced me that I need to spend a lot more time ‘doing’ and a lot less time’ reading’.

Hope that despite the damp conditions everyone had a great time – I’m sure you all did. And that they can continue - thanks Phil for arranging all those that have already taken place.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks Phil for putting on another great meet. Thanks to everyone else in attendance for making it another great weekend out. Joseph enjoyed himself as did I, see you next time round.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Due to unforeseen circumstances ... just a 2 hour or so visit on Saturday afternoon.

Sorry to miss you Chris, it must have been a matter of minutes.

...thanks Phil for arranging all those that have already taken place.

+1 to that, and thanks to Steve for the CCC, and to everyone else for great company, strong spirits and big tarps. :)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Thanks Phil for another great meet Had to come away today to see family.

Had a great and relaxing time, even if it was a little damp at times, Had to change my set up slightly due to conditions and previous seen forecasts, but it worked ok.

Great to see everyone old and new faces. great to speak to everyone and catch up and get new ideas.

Great to play with some more large knives which has refined my choice for my final decision really do like the Leuku work near on perfect for what I need just a couple more to try in person then the decision will be made.

Thanks again to everyone there

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
glad i made it down for some time in the woods now i best get cracking on my bike while its not raining.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Another cracking rough close meet. Thanks to everyone for making it so memorable.

Highlights for me included pretty much everything Wayland brought with him, Martins Vargo Ti stove, Andys wood gasifier, and the visit from a chocolate Lab that cleaned out my tea last night.

I saw some great ideas for pitching my tarp differently next time. Phil's river crossing setup was particularly impressive :D

See you all next time

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Phil, thanks once again for organising the Meet.

Thanks to all that attended.

As long as you set up and take down your pitch in the dry all is well. :)

Phil, did you forget something Mate?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks to all those who came along for what was an _interesting_ Meet (And also to Andy for making it so _interesting_ :yikes: :umbrella: :canoe: :lmao: ). Special mention must go the guest appearances of these two characters

ming_the_merciless.jpg
and
Paploo.jpg

If the December '08 Meet was the 'A River Runs Through It' Meet, I think this one might be best remembered as either 'The Many Islands' or 'The Squelchy, Squelchy' Meet :yikes: :rofl:~ and even the rain couldn't dampen spirits!

Phil, did you forget something Mate?

Without checking, I'd guess ridge line?? :eek: I can usually do the allocated two nights without the machine with ease, this time one night off it really did for me :( :eek: :censored: ~ and tiredness, for me, means bad* jokes, mischievousness and ... erm ... what was ..er ... :eek:

* Or, depending on your views, worse :yikes: :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great meet as usual folks... wished I'd stayed the extra days but by the time I'd got home on the Sunday I was totally cream crackered :(

Still I managed a couple nights out and had a great time whilst I was there. :D

Thank you to Phil for facilitating it as usual and thank you to everyone for the birthday pressies :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
glad i made it down for some time in the woods now i best get cracking on my bike while its not raining.

Amazing how much soggy gear you can get on a bike. It's just taken me two hours to repack all the stuff that I had to unpack to dry out.

It's still raining here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE