Rise O Yea Flabby Deskjockeys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Nah it's not a slur - fair cop - I reckon most people I work with don't get enough exercise and their sick days at work show it. I hillwalk and jog (about an hour of steady jogging through my local woods 5-6 days a week) and I'm still a big bloke! I blame my wife ;) When we started going out I was running and mountain biking and weighed 76 kilos - I was the fittest then I've ever been. I'm a *lot* heavier now... haven't weighed myself for years! :D

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
It is not a slur against any members here or on any other forums. Most of the people (including myself) post on both forums (BB & BCUK), so we are trying to be a little constructive if not poking fun at ourselves.
Its a fair topic mind...........maybe it should be continued here?

I still suggest Matt Furey's combat conditioning, hill sprinting and the use of the old power ball as a general all rounder that may help us bushcrafters.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It’s a fair point, although I’d not say most, rather a good percentage are not as fit as they should be, it’s very true for me. :eek: It’s not to be confused with how much people get out and practise skills though; a lot of the people on here get out quite a bit even though they have day jobs. :D
Being unfit and the amount people get out have to be related, if you’re fit you’d also be able to do more. But getting out practicing or just enjoying the outside world can be done by anyone, and is.

Some also think that people on the forum with high post counts are armchair bushcrafter, that’s far from the case, many of the highest posters are active bushcraters, teaching the skills, living the life. ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
65% of Americans are either obese or overweight, and we are going the same way.

Many of these people will die early because of their weight.

There are lots of fad diets, but to be honest it all comes down to four words: eat less, move more.

leon-1

Just because people are techies or "DESK JOCKEYS" doesn't mean they are unfit, Gary who wrote that being ex forces will understand that.

In the military you have what they call bergan fitness where you can have ex amount of people who run like the wind, but you put a pack on thier back and say move at this pace and they are dead in a couple of miles.

In an infantry battalion some of he fittest (if not fastest) people you will find will be in support company, this is mainly due to the very large amount of weight that they are carrying, not as body fat but the actual load, I will admit that you will also find people who are chunkier there (they ain't all racing snakes), but pound for pound and in strength and endurance they are better not faster and thinner.

I am no skinny Minnie, but even having been out of the mob for a while you would not want to tab against me with a pack on (I walk everywhere as I don't drive, which helps).

Just because people are in technical job does not mean they are not fit, it just means they have a technical job, not that they are couch potatoes. In fact the guy that wrote that piece was in a technical job himself :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Remember that its important to distinguish between how fit you actually are, how fit you'd like to be (for whatever activities you do) and how fit you could be.

Most people who are unfit think of getting fit by doing several hours a day at the gym, or lots of running, or cycling or similar to build the ultimate body.

But then you have to ask what is it for? You could spend several hours a week to get fit, but then you'd have a nice body, and spend your life in a gym.

the balance is getting to a fitness level that keeps you healthy and makes your life easier whenever you are doing things that require a higher level of fitness.

Now I'm not the fittest person in the world by any means :eek: but when I do try to keep fit its by doing things like flying kites, juggling, cycling to see places, walking, woodcarving and other fun hobbies that provide some form of exercise.

I think everyone would love to have that Mr Universe toned athletic body, but I think that keeping your fitness level significantly higher than your fitness 'needs' is just wasting good time in a gym when you coul dbe out having fun!

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
8 years as a Pro desk jockey has taken its toll on my body. Now back doing Martial Arts and walking home from work are starting to get me back in shape.

Agree with Match
Exercising the mind is as good as exercising the body to stay fit and healthy.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
*stands up* My name is Weekend Warrior and I'm a deskjockey

walking as much as I can now and have shed a stone of flab - seriously looking forward to exiting the rat race as early as possible. :D

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
My main occupation is a soft eng, so spend lots of time staring at the beige box. I mainly do this is the colder months and then apply my other trade as an archaeologist (scientist really, geophys stuff) to get really in trim.
I would reccomend a powerball to most of us deskies, it relieves RSI type injuries and can build powerful forearms and tendons whilst staring at your reflection on the screen. It even gives you a challenge of scores to improve against or challenge others with. It could change your life............

www.powerballs.com

they sell the things just about everywhere these days, just fire it into ebay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE