Review of Rasp Knife by kristophish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Review of farriers rasp knife by Kris Jackson (kristophish) by Rob Griffiths (DocG).

Blade 4 inch
Handle 4 1/4 inch
OAL. 8 1/4 inch
Scandi grind
Handle is bog oak with red and blue liners with stainless tubes
Sheath is horizontal carry quality veg tan leather sewn with artificial sinew.
Link: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120922

Greetings all. This is my first review. If I miss bits out it’s not intentional and the omissions reveal my faults and not the knife’s or its maker’s.

I bought this knife from Kris a couple of weeks ago. This is the first knife I have ever been able to afford that has not been a production model. I felt a real thrill when Kris agreed to sell it to me.

When I opened the package my first thoughts were that the knife was beautiful to look at – the marks on the blade left from the rasp made a pattern like fish scales on the blade. Also, the wooden handle was a delightfully dark chocolate brown, carved in flowing lines. The exposed pattern through the handle along the tang added to the knife’s appearance. The photos in the original posting – see link above – do not do justice to the physical appeal of the knife.

I have to admit that I was a bit worried about the size of the handle when I first saw it as it is much smaller than other knives I have used, BUT since using it in sandy woods on hot, sweaty days as well as in the rain and indoors, I have experienced no hotspots or any other discomfort. Indeed, the knife has been more comfortable and effective than any I have previously owned or used.

So, how did the knife perform in a number of uses that I believe are useful indications of its suitability for bushcraft applications?

1/ Wood for fires. I found two fallen and dry Sitka boughs. After sawing them into convenient lengths, I split them as needed for a fire. There were no problems using the knife with a baton or splitting smaller pieces for kindling. I chopped up grasses and other bits for my tinder bundle too without problem.

IMGP1957.jpg

2/ Fashioning camping items.

I made a set of walking sticks from willow and birch that could be used for a tripod as well as for walking and supporting a tarp.

The knife cut through “Kochanski wrist thick” willow and ash saplings with ease to produce boughs for a shelter.

All the wood was snedded with ease. Indeed, I had to be careful to position the limb so that the knife did not follow through into me as it whipped through inch thick pieces without problem.

I was able to peel the willow to make cordage, pushing the blade into a fallen trunk as a stable cutting edge for making even strips. The sharpness of the blade made the job easy.

I also fashioned a piece of green fir to make a handle for my 21” bowsaw blade. I used the saw on my SAK to cut the piece and make the end notches, using my new knife to sned the piece and generally tidy it up for use.

IMGP1958.jpg

I had a first go at making a fish broiler as illustrated by Kochanski from the snedded pieces from the above tasks.

IMGP1972.jpg

After all that cutting, I was still able to make feather sticks. The sharpness of the blade produced some problems for me as I was able to cut more easily than I have done before, so a fair number of curls bit the dust. As always, any faults in the jobs are mine, not the knife’s.

IMGP1966.jpg

IMGP1964.jpg

3/ Carving. I attempted my first spoon using this knife. I split a willow root then used my SAK to saw in to stop splits as I worked on the basic shape of the spoon. Apart from the saw cuts and final sanding, I only used the knife to fashion the spoon. Although it has obvious flaws, I like it and will be using it for Scout camp this summer. I have a piece of hazel and a piece of scotch pine that I will be using to make other spoons soon. In the second picture I have tried to show the types of shavings that I managed to produce as I worked to carve my first spoon.

IMGP1974.jpg

IMGP1980.jpg

IMGP1988.jpg

4/ Food prep. I filleted a rainbow trout for broiling. There was no problem in cutting through the backbone or tail. I was able to choke up on the blade so I could avoid the guts neatly. Any untidiness is my fault, not a problem caused by the knife.

IMGP1953.jpg

I also prepared a number of vegetables including potatoes, onions, carrots, beans and broccoli. The photo shows that I was able to cut the onion in several ways, coarse to fine, without any problem.

IMGP1991.jpg

I did the food prep last, after all the other cutting. The knife retained its edge so that it cut the vegetables neatly and safely. I have not done anything to the edge since I received the knife from Kris.

The sheath is a nice piece of work with a simple but elegant belt loop that can be used on the left or right. I follow Lofty Wiseman’s advice and always use a lanyard when working with a knife outdoors. I prefer to carry my knife on the left so I can draw it by putting my thumb through the lanyard, winding the lanyard round my hand then pulling out the knife whilst holding the sheath with my left hand. Previously I have used a dangler sheath, but the horizontal carry seems fine so far. (I loop the lanyard round the lower end of the sheath to prevent the knife from leaving the sheath if it catches on something while I’m wandering about. This may not be necessary, but I’m new to a horizontal carry so I’m being cautious.)

As I hope I have shown, I think this knife has proved itself very useful for bushcraft applications I am certainly very satisfied. It has been a helpful companion for a series of bushcraft projects over the last fortnight or so. I look forward to doing more with it and I am sure it will meet my needs very well. I think it will meet the requirement of being a pry bar, a carving tool and a method to process animals for years to come.

I would like to thank Kris for making such a lovely and functional tool, and for selling it to me.

Right now I am having a fit of the Tolkiens and trying to find a name for my knife.

All the best,
Rob

Attachments

• IMGP1954.jpg
    IMGP1954.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 64

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got one of Kris's friction folders made from the same type of file. I'm not a big fan of any folders but I LOVE this knife.
I'm afraid I don't have time to do a full review like below but it's very very good and very well made and thought out....really can't say enough good things about it.

Would definitely recommend any of Kris's knives based on the one I have....top top man :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the comments.

I'm just back from Scout camp - a wee bit wild with Bertha's passing. The kids did really well despite the rain, wind and relative cold. Some days getting the fires started required inspired cheating by us, the allegedly knowledgable leaders:eek:

I used Kris' knife to make more willow cordage, plus the usual camp tasks. My carved spoon caused lots of interest even though it's a first go. Indeed, I managed the week with just the spoon and knife for eating. I am planning a PL/APL session to show them how I did it, but I may be asking for guidance before the event.

I made a "Mk 2" bow saw that worked much more efficiently than the one in the pictures.

I'll try to post pictures later, when I've caught up with work.

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE