Razor clams?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Saw this in the mud yesterday, on the coast near Chepstow. Very high up the shore, no more than 10 feet from where the coastal saltmarsh begins. Is it razor clam sign? I note that the holes seem to be paired, but I've never seen razor clams in the wild, so to speak. I would have expected them much lower down the shore. No other signs or prints of any description around or near them, just flat mud.

8483810814_1d65555479_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmm ive only seen razor clams in sand and there the sign is spiral shaped piles of sand. Could be very different in mud perhaps :confused:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thank you. Still a mystery though. 6 pairs of holes, all about the same distance apart. A worm of some sort? Holes were at east an inch across, probably more like 2 inches.

:dunno:

mark stotesbury

Forager
Oct 19, 2012
Cape Town South Africa
look ''man made'' the edges are raised there is the odd mud drip looks like a bird feeding - you can see were the beak /stick enters and leaves the mud with a drip around the hole very similar to a red oyster catchers feeding pattern , but i am at the bottom of thw world so anything is possible .

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
look ''man made'' the edges are raised there is the odd mud drip looks like a bird feeding - you can see were the beak /stick enters and leaves the mud with a drip around the hole very similar to a red oyster catchers feeding pattern , but i am at the bottom of thw world so anything is possible .

Possibly. If man made it would need a heck of a long stick to do that though, and for no apparent reason. No bird prints about either.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm, those mud drips are pretty convincing actually, now they have been pointed out. Bird does now seem the best candidate.

Probably the South-East Walian cockle-eating mud hummingbird, well known for not leaving footprints as it feeds...

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Neat little holes for razor clams on our beaches, you sometimes find dead ones poking out a bit which is proof of their presence.

xylaria

I am supposed to be able to find razor clams on my local beaches, but I never succeeded. The mussles and cockles are lush and dont require the huge walk to the low tide line. They are good walk out in clean sand, and only cocklers seem to know where to get them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE