Ray Mears' Winter Layering System

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
addyb said:
That's true Big Swede, and it's also the reason why the BAST swears by Ventile.

:beerchug:
Ventile (tightly wooven cotton) is the best! And if my goverment allows me, I will buy a new eta-proof (a newer, improved ventile) anorak this winter

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
What's the difference between etaproof and ventile, then? They sound pretty similar - specially-woven cotton, used by pilots, good for Arctic conditions etc.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
mark a. said:
What's the difference between etaproof and ventile, then? They sound pretty similar - specially-woven cotton, used by pilots, good for Arctic conditions etc.

Beats me... Heard that etaproof are made from ecocotton only, and that's very important for me (irony, oh sweet irony).
Since ventile is a bit older, etaproofs vapour permability might be better? Or maybe there are no greater differences? I know that KM clothing switched from ventile to etaproof a couple of years back, but that might just be logistic/economical reasons.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
No, it's the same stuff and Etaproof is licensed from Talbot Weaving. Believe me, I've looked into it on more than one occasion.

The only real difference that I can find is that Etaproof comes with a flourocarbon finishing treatment and as far as I know, Ventile doesn't.

One fact about Ventile/Etaproof that I really found interesting was that apparently the fabric will only absorb 10% of it's weight in moisture due to the complexity of the weave.

http://www.manufactum.co.uk/group/174177/product/1394815/Product_Details.2700.0.html

(No wonder I love the stuff)

Adam

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
oetzi said:
What a great piece of kit!
But € 600,-!!
Is Ventile really worth it?
And how far below is for example G-1000 from Fjällräven?

more like 415 euros.. But you can get it cheaper. G1000 from fjällräven is good as well but the wind- and waterresistant features mostly lay in the wax, not the fabric itself.

And I don't really like fjällrävens winter jackets, the gutulia anorak is ok, but I have one that's equal to it already, so now I'm going for the top-of-the-line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE