Quick skinning a squirrell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bob Hurley

You might want to see this video, I've seen versions of this but this fellow is the slickest I've ever watched at this little job.

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

It takes little work afterward to gut and cut up the squirrel, a small hatchet or big knife is handy to remove the feet and head. (Note: Most people I know once cooked the heads for the brains which are really good, but with current fear of odd diseases they throw them away now.)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Bob I can get the audio but not the video for some reason. But from the sounds of it, I clean my squirrels the same way. Only I'm too old to step on that tail and yank the hide off. Man they are fond of that hide, ain't they? :eek:):

So, I use a little homemade gambrel and it does the trick.

squirrelcleaning2.jpg

For a description on how I use it, here's a link.

field dressing a squirrel

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Knowing how tough they are to skin that video makes the guys technique look easy - although a lot of meat is still on those back legs!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ok, I finally got the video to load. At first I thoght that it was only a partial skinning. Once I pull the major part of the hide off, I grab the squirrel by the head with one hand and use my other hand to pull his "britches" off. This actually comes off fairly easily. There is a ^ shape usually left on the belly and you start there and then pull downward, working the skin down and off the hind legs.

But when I looked at the video the second time, I see he has a pretty slick way to remove the britches without turning the squirrel over. While holding the squirrel stretched out, he slips a couple of fingers under his briches and pulls them off. I spoze the trick here is to let loose of the legs with one hand and the hide comes off around the hind legs and then regrab the squirrel before the hide is completely off the legs so you don't drop it. Pretty neat trick!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Tarnation ! :rant: :red:
I wish you'd posted this a couple of days back, I had a right nightmare skinning one of these little critters. Looks very easy in the vid.
Hoodoo, The guy cuts the guy cuts a flap of skin between the tale and er "vent", across the top of the back legs then peels the whole skin off over the head like a jumper or "jersey" to you. The fur is left on the back legs, but i assume he skins em seperately.They are the only bit with any real meat on.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Rich

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Rich, I don't think the fur is left on the back legs. If you look at that video closely, you can actually see him remove the fur off the hind quarters and you can see the bare legs.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Another look at the video and I see what he did. When he pulls the hind fur off, he is actually holding the squirrel with his other hand, just in front of the hind quarters.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I just watched it again and I stand corrected he does skin the back legs too - the video stopped before that bit last time this time I waited for it the buffer properly.

Either way excellent techniqu and I will definately give it a go next time I get a beady eyed grey for the pot!

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
didn't he whip the legs off quick. like he was taking a glove off. cant say it happens like that when i do it on a squirrel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE