Quick Fallkniven question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

George B

Jun 15, 2005
Ok, so the question is, if say a Fallkniven F1 comes with the blackish ceracoat stuff on the steel, will it still give a shower of sparks similar to the uncoated F1 version from the swedish army firesteel by using the squared off spine to strike with. Or are the results quite poor??? I've had 2 ppl give me a completely opposite answer so far, perhaps you gents and gentresses can help.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't know about the ceracoat, but generally blade coatings need to be removed before you get a good shower of sparks. Effectively you are using the edge of the spine to "machine" the ferro rod. Machining is not normally done with a protective coating on the point of contact.

Another thing. Why does it matter anyway? I mean, if you get the coated blade, and it doesn't work, just remove the coating from the small area needed to strike sparks. You will still have most of the blade coated. If you aren't going to be using the knife for military operations, or around sea water, do you really need the coating in the first place?

George B

Jun 15, 2005
cheers pal, thats very interesting, thanks for the reply. But shouldn't the firesteel shower spaks with any sharp edge regardless of the material, at least thats what some claim. As to the question of the necessity if such a coating, well, it was purely for future interest/note as i am thinking seriously about an army career.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Hmm....that makes me think of the black crackle model Zippo lighter used in WWII.

Zippo didn't have brass, so they started making the lighters out of porous steel, and so they wouldn't rust they coated them in thick black paint.

Maybe there's a night-discipline aspect on the Fallkniven F1? :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When the coating is on the knife does it retain it's sharp edge with which to strike? I'd presume not, it will be more rounded. Yep, you're right, any sharp edge will cast a nice shower, but it still needs to be harder than the Ferro rod to do it, if the coating is softer, or ahs some give in it you'll not get far.

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
George B said:
cheers pal, thats very interesting, thanks for the reply. But shouldn't the firesteel shower spaks with any sharp edge regardless of the material, at least thats what some claim. As to the question of the necessity if such a coating, well, it was purely for future interest/note as i am thinking seriously about an army career.

The coating makes the sharp corners to be a little bit rounder, thats the problem.
BTW if you will sharpen the F1 to its original convex edge, the first thing to grind away with the "hoodoo hone" or mousepad+wet&dry paper is the coating. If you are in the military and its important for the blade to not shine, then you don't have choice, go for the black blade, but otherwise it doesn't make sense. The outer layers of the laminated blade are 420J steel, which is very rust resistant already.

L

Lost_Patrol

I've got a black F1 - It casts sparks easily. The spine is very square. It does remove a little bit of the coating every time at the edge, but I didn't buy this knive to be pretty so it doesn't matter.

There are more reasons for the coating than military purposes. One of the main advertised reasons (the one I use it for) it for salt water resistance when canoeing. Even though the hoodoo hone does remove the coating near the edge, its better to have some protection than none.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE