Pressure stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

I am a newbie in stoves and lamps, and recently trying to learn and get used to these stuff. The other day, I was trying out newly arrived an old pressure stove. It doesn't seem too popular model. I cannot find much info about it. It was cheap, and was an ideal kit for learning.

It is a R M Picnic Wickless Stove. Seem all complete with rusty iron case and other bits. Did a quick set up, poured little amount of paraffin into the fuel tank, followed by alcohol on the pre heater, then lighted it. It ignited OK and started giving good bit of heat with noise.

A couple of points I noticed,

1. Pump nozzle seem a bit lose. When I pumping it up, it felt a bit hollow, and I did not feel any pressure doing it. Is this normal?

2. The flames are blue and very hot, but not that much or high. It makes good hissing noise though. I would have thought it would give taller flames, but they are quite low. Is it suppose to be like this?

Even with these doubts, I was able to boil a pan of water very quickly for making a cuppa in the back garden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNFvZgLs3Y0

After about half hour of burning, when I released the pressure form tank, it powered off ok. All in all, it was a good fun testing it, and it is working OK - how perfect I am not sure. cheers.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
With regard the pump. If it's been dry for ages it might need a while to swell again.

Looks ok though, got that water hot quickly, and that's all you need really.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Join www.spiritburner.com all the information you need is there. I could go on and give you a full run down but I've done it so many time here now.... oil the pump leather, bit of olive oil will do the job, flay the edges... get you going, don't be afraid to pump the stove many times after its going a bit which is often a failure of newbies with pressure stoves.

PS, the stove was made in Birmingham.

PPS, enjoy the stove, I like all of my RM stoves :)

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Thanks rik_uk. Great info as usual. Much appreciated. The RM stove made in Birmingham - gotta be good stuff. Mine - I think - had not been used for many years before my first run on the weekend.

That forum seem great with full of useful and interesting infos. cheers.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Slippery slope

I've got

3 x primus 210
1 x optimus 8r
1 optimus 111b
1 primus 71
1 msr whisperlite
1 msr dragonfly
3 or 4 gas stoves
4 tilleys
1 Kelly kettle
A hobo,
And 3 folding solid fuel cookers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Slippery slope

I've got

3 x primus 210
1 x optimus 8r
1 optimus 111b
1 primus 71
1 msr whisperlite
1 msr dragonfly
3 or 4 gas stoves
4 tilleys
1 Kelly kettle
A hobo,

Good starter kit although I'm not keen on the 111B's prefer the T's which are multi (liquid)fuel.

When the wife says the dining room looks like Steptoe's living room you'll need to cut back or perhaps come home one day as I did to find all your stoves dumped outside in bin liners. Reality check time lol

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
The 111b was in a box of junk at a car boot. Everything £3 written on the side :)

Pikeys can't be choosers.

I'd love a svea 123. I'll find one one day

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Slippery slope

I've got

3 x primus 210
1 x optimus 8r
1 optimus 111b
1 primus 71
1 msr whisperlite
1 msr dragonfly
3 or 4 gas stoves
4 tilleys
1 Kelly kettle
A hobo,

Very nice. I have scored a nice Primus 210 also on to my way soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE