Pressure stove wanted monitor/ coleman/ primus etc???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My favourite brass classic is the humble Primus No5, fixed leg domestic stove used in many thousands of homes. Fast to boil, very good at a simmer I love them. You can pick them up for not a lot on eBay, very few parts to go wrong and well worth buying as a newbie or experienced stove user IMHO.

At home or a fixed camp, a couple of these will fill all your needs.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
in the words of kenneth williams " this is all so confusing" unquote I didnt know there could be such debate about pressure stoves.. but I have to admit I do like the brasswork on lots of stoves... but also am very fond of coleman stuff from the 1950's and would love a vapalux m320!!! can anyone tell me though why bushcrafters seem to cling to the older type stuff? just that I found myself moving away from modern bushy stuff and into cast iron cookware for example !!! i think uncle ray was right when he said that love of and knowledge of bushcraft creates values which are getting lost somewhere in the high tex fast world we live in and we are keeping the past alive...
to me theres nothing like the feeling you get when you see something like an old tilley burst into life after being illtreated and shoved in the back of a damp shed for thirty or so years............

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Probably because the old classic stuff still works after donkeys years!! I enjoy using the Opti 111 & Vapalux lantern because I know it's going to perform with the minimum of fiddling & faffing - fill with paraffin, prime with meths, light & enjoy. Nothing wrong with the 'modern' stuff, I've a Trangia 27 & Primus omni Himalaya if it all goes horribly wrong!!!!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
As a boy we would go on family picnics and my dad would always produce tea on an old primus stove, while the family game of cricket was going on. The smells, mysterious meths bottle and priming process fascinated me. I think that is where the Proustian fascination started.

Come to think of it you really can't beat the soft purr of a traditional three-leg primus / SVEA silent burner

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
in the words of kenneth williams " this is all so confusing" unquote I didnt know there could be such debate about pressure stoves.. but I have to admit I do like the brasswork on lots of stoves... but also am very fond of coleman stuff from the 1950's and would love a vapalux m320!!! can anyone tell me though why bushcrafters seem to cling to the older type stuff? just that I found myself moving away from modern bushy stuff and into cast iron cookware for example !!! i think uncle ray was right when he said that love of and knowledge of bushcraft creates values which are getting lost somewhere in the high tex fast world we live in and we are keeping the past alive...
to me theres nothing like the feeling you get when you see something like an old tilley burst into life after being illtreated and shoved in the back of a damp shed for thirty or so years............

The few of us that do use older stoves on a regular basis like the look and the simplicity of them. On a typical old Primus you have perhaps a tank lid seal, pump leather, jet and a washer or two. About five bits, now compare that to the service kits on my Omnifuels, Nova's or MSR's; way more bits in them. The British Antarctic Survey still use old Optimus 45's when camping on the ice because they work and if they don't are easy to fix in extreme conditions.

The Vapalux M300 is much nicer looking than the 320 :) You can buy new ones http://hytta.de/kocher/Petroleumkocher,411.htm

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Always had a soft spot for the Primus No.210, myself...

2x210s.jpg

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
just a one off little bump...
still looking for more of these but especcially vapalux m320...
most of the stuff offered on this thread has gone but I have tons more stuff including loads of brand new top class gear..
if you got something i may be interested in give me a shout....
Its a high chance ive got what you are looking for.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE