plants historical uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
As an accompinament to 101 plants thread I thought a 'Uses in history' of plants thread maybe of interest to some people. I'm fascinated by uses of plants throughout the ages and feel a connection with the past when I see plants in the countryside that our descendants would have known and used for various needs
So I'll start the ball rolling

Ground ivy - was sold as a tea by street vendors in Victorian times on the streets of London during the colder months as it's good for the chest. It also goes by the name of Alehoof (and 'gill over the ground' ) and was used to clarify ale before hops were discovered

Silverweed has a cooling and soothing effect and was used to for beds to lay injured knights on when they returned from crusades. The roots are also edible and were widely eaten before potatoes were introduced. Autumn is the best time to gather the roots

Gypsywort - produces a black dye and was used by people to give themselves a 'gypsy like' or dark skinned and exotic appearance to colour their skin so they were more credible when selling their wares.

Blackthorn - used for the irish shellelagh fighting stick carried by travellers.

Wild service tree - wood used to make cross bow stocks

Just a few to start the ball rolling. These are from the readers digest field guide to the wildflowers of britain. It dosn't have an historical entry for every flower/plant but it does have a lot of snippets like these. The tree book from the same series is the same.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good thread, :D

Rowan, used for arrows.
Privet, used for baskets and fishtraps.
Dockens, used for kishie baskets for carrying fish since the smell just washes off.

Cheers,
Toddy

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ling - ale flavouring & roofing and of course broom
myrtle - ale flavouring & sterilising same as hops
puff ball spores- to stop bleeding
sphagnum - wound dressing
apples - cider
pear - perry
madder - anti bacterial

think i'm developng a theme here

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
pierre girard said:
Fence posts:

White cedar - lasts 35 years

Oak or ash - lasts 40 years

Tamarack - lasts 45 years

PG

I beleive (although I could be wrong) that Red cedar is used (maybe not exclusively) here (UK) for commercially produced fence panelling and posts.
Ash and Spindle - allsorts of things such as tool handles, bobbins, skewers, knitting needles, candle sticks, tooth picks

Keep 'em coming............lots of interesting uses already

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Hi:)
came across this database recently, lots of interesting stuff, there's list after list of plants and their uses with what seems a fairly effective search function , it's certainly extensive, if not complete and broken down into edible uses, medicinal uses and other uses with additional details for cultivation. Also credits its references.
hope its of interest :D
http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/other_uses.php

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE