pine resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
hi it's nice to back!,
i heard the other day that the resin from pine trees was once used to make torches. i have always been interested in make a torch but the only resin that i have tried has burned very quickly.

can anyone help me? :confused:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
How was yours put together?

I would just ensure I got a big clump of resin and make sure I have enough twigs acting as a wick... I have done this and it worked a treat.

W

whistler

I have looked for resin and I am having difficulty finding it. is it easy to find or am i blind, are there easy ways, times of year etc

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
whistler said:
I have looked for resin and I am having difficulty finding it. is it easy to find or am i blind, are there easy ways, times of year etc

At certain times of year resin oozes from the trunks and branches of some pine (and maybe fir) trees.

As a kid, I got my clothes caked in the stuff on two or three occasions.

Summertime, when the sun is hot; July and August, 25°C to 35°C should do it.

Even if you're blind, you can find it; the smell is very strong and you will probably smell the resin before you see the tree it's ozing from.

Keith.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Go look for it now.

I was in our local wood last weekend and where my archery club had set some targets with too narrow a shot between the pine trees the trees that had been nicked were all healing themselves with fresh resin.

I've never been successful looking for resin rich "fatwood" in the stumps of decaying trees which is a traditional source but any time I've seen freshly felled or lopped pines there's usually resin oozing from the cut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE