Pawprint identification - please help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sarahcwilliams

Pawprint identification - please help!
Hi! Can anyone identify the three pawprints for me?
Took them in the forest when we were in Aberfoyle, in the Scottish Borders, and I'm CONVINCED they're not dog prints!!! There are three - I'm thinking wildcat, bear and wolf!! LOL!! Your opinion greatly received!
th_wildcat.jpg

th_bear.jpg

th_wolf.jpg

S

sarahcwilliams

I stand corrected... I was in the Trossachs not the Borders! Specifically, Loch Ard forest in the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park ;o)

S

sarahcwilliams

sorry for dupe - I'm a newbie ;o/
JonathanD - I could upload photos in large format if that would help?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm not great at this kind of thing but it looks like 1st perhaps a cat feral or wild, 2nd possibly a dog or a badger or similar, and lastly looks sort of like a Martin or polecat maybe weasel as there is no scale to measure against, maybe even a squirrel if it's in woodland? You should also take into consideration where these prints were located ie woodland, open field, hillside above snowline etc to give something of a starter for ten and would help with ID. As I say though I'm no expert and there are folks much better at this than me.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm not great at this kind of thing but it looks like 1st perhaps a cat feral or wild, 2nd possibly a dog or a badger or similar, and lastly looks sort of like a Martin or polecat maybe weasel as there is no scale to measure against, maybe even a squirrel if it's in woodland? You should also take into consideration where these prints were located ie woodland, open field, hillside above snowline etc to give something of a starter for ten and would help with ID. As I say though I'm no expert and there are folks much better at this than me.

There is another thread on this with the measurements.... they are BIG...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66341

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE