Oh dear, poor Roe Deer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
On Exmoor I have found the fore legs of red deer that poachers have left behind. I guess that removing excess weight seems like a good idea if you're carrying a heavy carcass any distance. I tend to agree with the "come back for it later" idea.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Lurch said:
I wonder if the beast was left in the stream to keep it cool until such time as poachers could recover it.

I hadn't thought of it this way, if it was intended to be eaten then 'fair game'....but I still think its a bit of a bad show potentially polluting the water ways (or the carcass for that matter) like this, which was my original concern.

East Yorkshire has had a fair spell of cold weather of late, alot of snow in that neck of the woods, so I wouldn't have thought it would been needed to kept in the water? or is that to ward the bugs off too?

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hi, Gang.

I looked up a newspaper, for that area and it was a little more informative than the newsclip.

Seems the incidents actually happened last month.
That it didnt appear on tele, til yesterday, may be that YTV was looking for a bit of padding.

Appears that both beasts had been skinned and partly butchered. Only one of ,em was found in a stream.
Newspaper indicates that it was probably the work of folk who were after the meat.

Clearly, they didnt get most of it.

Well, I reckon that this sort of thing happens all the time, rustling and whatnot.
Must be a nightmare for wardens and keepers, for , among other things, the poss of coming to personal harm, from these people, its always there, aint it.

Ceeg

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I realise, reading some of the posts now, that myself and others may have over reacted a little, but in this society in is understandable why.

I have been lucky enough to witness the brutal nature of humans - I saw a motorist knock a cyclist off their bike, and then turn around to try and run them over again. All because 'cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the road'. My Step-Mother has caught paedophiles carrying photographs (not computer print outs, actual photographs) at her work (she is Airport Security in Manchester).

So when I read something like that I immediately, and for good reason, expect the worse. I know very little about hunting any further than shooting pigeons, and it did not occur to me that the poacher was saving the carcass for later.

My 'sterilistion' comment applies to all the people that commit mindless barbarism - people like Ian Huntley, or the Yorkshire Ripper, or the MILLIONS of murderers, rapists and peodophiles who never get caught. In Kentucky, rapists actually have a choice of sentence - life behind bars, or castration - a policy which, in my opinion, should be adopted world wide.

People who mutilate animals are very often just one step away from moving on to people, usually children. In a society whose laws actually protect people like the aforementioned, we can not expect people like that to ever disappear until there is a zero tolerance policy adopted.

Just because in this case, it may or may not have been a poacher putting food on the table, the mutilation of animals for 'pleasure' does occur (I remember a particularly sickening incident involving some teenagers playing football with a puppy not very far from where I live) and it is an issue that needs to be addressed, not ignored.

MODS/ADMIN: I know my comments will offend some people, but I felt there were questions raised by others in this thread that had to be answered. If you want to remove this post then I won't complain, but like I said, I felt my reaction, and comments, needed to be explained.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
After the shot is taken and the animal is comfirmed dead the first priority is to grallock the carcass and cool it, we spread the chest cavity open and hang the carcass in a tree and retrieve it later, if the deer is to be carried and not dragged we sometimes remove the legs below the knee, the head and neck may also be removed but i usually tie this to the front legs. if you walk through the woods and saw a deer or 2 hanging from a tree you might jump to the wrong conclusion, it does not matter whether the deer was poached or not, that is a matter for the law, what we have here is people drawing conclusions from what they see and whether you have an understanding of hunting or carcass preperation it is quite easy to draw the wrong conclusion.

for example
the deer may be poached and waiting to be picked up.
The deer may have been shot out of season and the stalker wants to keep it quite, remove the head grallock the beast and to the inexperienced its just another dead deer
the shot deer may have been an excellent trophy for which a charge of hundreds of pounds would have to paid, this could have been a genuine mistake, again get rid of the evidence and no one is the wiser.
poacher or hunter are different sides of the same coin and there are good and bad in both, I only hope the the deer was shot humainly and the carcass was grallocked and cleaned correctly for who knows hunter or poacher it's meat might end up on your table

Ian

Reactions: andyn

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Not that many years ago it was common prcatice, at least in the Highlands, to simply cast the legs and heads of deer onto any covenient bit of ground. Today only the stomach is left on the hill to be disposed of by carrion. This you can be assured the only method of carcass recovery/handling to be employed by Forestry Commission Rangers and indeed any responsible stalker.

All this to hopefully suggest that this unfortunate discovery will most certainly not have resulted from the actions of an experienced/committed deerstalker who would be at pains, I suggest, to demonstrate his/her understanding of "Best Practice" as defined by, to name but one organisation, The Bristish Deer Society.

In all the years I have shot deer, foxes and indeed thousands of rabbits I have never once knowingly left a carcass to rot in either wood or pasture and to then later be found by the landowner or member of the public. The reasoning was not entirely to do with making use of the carcass and /or pelt (just how much rabbit can one eat!) but rather through my desire to preserve the privilege extened to me to hunt with a r__le in the first place. Having a member of the public stumble across a fox that has been hit with a .220 Swift, even when downed at 500 yards, is guaranteed to get you noticed - the very opposite to what I have striven to achieve over the last 30 years of hunting. I think the comments here demostrate that to leave the woods as we find them, in respect of any activity, is the only way to go. What the public can't see they will usually not get upset about.

How easily then are all responsible hunters and indeed bushcrafters tarred with the same brush by discoveries such a this and campfire-damaged public woodland. :(

Cheers

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
While I do not agree with everything that has been said here, on both sides of the debate, I think there has been some excellent points that have been made. As ever, I have learned more from listening and reading than I have done by talking and writing. It has been said many times before and doubtless it will be echoed in the future that this site is a fantastic resource for learning and, dare I be pompus, enlightment.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
scruff said:
I hadn't thought of it this way, if it was intended to be eaten then 'fair game'....but I still think its a bit of a bad show potentially polluting the water ways (or the carcass for that matter) like this, which was my original concern.

East Yorkshire has had a fair spell of cold weather of late, alot of snow in that neck of the woods, so I wouldn't have thought it would been needed to kept in the water? or is that to ward the bugs off too?

No reason to keep it in the water, but if the poacher wasn't real familair with what they were doing - likely enough. I tend to think the use of plastic leads to the possiblity of an intention to return for the meat.

If they're just after meat - why not watch for roadkill? I'm not sure what it's like there, but I could easily get a deer a day on my way to work. I understand that is still illeagle there, but certainly much less likely to get everyone up in arms.

PG

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Klenchblaize said:
All this to hopefully suggest that this unfortunate discovery will most certainly not have resulted from the actions of an experienced/committed deerstalker who would be at pains, I suggest, to demonstrate his/her understanding of "Best Practice" as defined by, to name but one organisation, The Bristish Deer Society.

How easily then are all responsible hunters and indeed bushcrafters tarred with the same brush by discoveries such a this and campfire-damaged public woodland. :(

Cheers
Very well put..

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
pierre girard said:
No reason to keep it in the water, but if the poacher wasn't real familair with what they were doing - likely enough. I tend to think the use of plastic leads to the possiblity of an intention to return for the meat.

If they're just after meat - why not watch for roadkill? I'm not sure what it's like there, but I could easily get a deer a day on my way to work. I understand that is still illeagle there, but certainly much less likely to get everyone up in arms.

PG

Over here, in and around my way, your a lot more likely to get a rabbit or pheasant road kill than a deer...and of course you have to beat all the other carnivores & parasites to it too!

Quite right about the plastic bag. I thought putting it in water was an odd move though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE