Next project.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
This is not really a bushcraft question but I'm sure people on here will have some ideas, so here goes:

A colleague bought a crossbow at a car boot sale. It looks to have been built up round a rifle stock. Fitted to the stock is a fairly hefty lump of steel angle. The bow itself is missing. Dave has given me the crossbow thinking I'm the right man for the job. What do you reckon my best option is for replacing the bow?

As I understand crossbows, the bow is traditionally a single piece fitted across the front of the body. On this one the bow will be two parts. I'm thinking that a steel would be my best bet, possibly laminated. Dave tried aluminium but it's not really successful. The mounts have a couple of bolt holes in them. Would I be better of clamping round instead of making holes in the arms? Also, would wood be worth experimenting with. I would like to finish off with something functional, but not neccesarily capable of putting bolts through plate armour. :yikes:

Any suggestions welcome.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The bow itself is known as a 'prod' or 'prodl' on a crossbow. Ideally it should be of one piece, bolted or lashed to the front of the stock. Spring steel works but needs a heck of a lot of drawing back. Wood works but the strains can be tremendous and should be backed with rawhide if used. Traditionally the prod would have been made from yew, horn and rawhide laminated together then bound with leather.

Your choice, but I'd definitely go for a one piece prod. you can buy spare carbon fiber prods from most field sports shops for about £40.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE