new national burning laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
anyone have any info on the new legislation that starts at the begining of March?
Bonfires will be Illegal unless you have a 'licence to burn' available from local governments for a mere £2000 per annum. This could prove problematic for bushcraft and have far reaching consequences. :shock:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
bushwacker bob said:
anyone have any info on the new legislation that starts at the begining of March?
Bonfires will be Illegal unless you have a 'licence to burn' available from local governments for a mere £2000 per annum. This could prove problematic for bushcraft and have far reaching consequences. :shock:

:yikes: It's a new one on me. :?:

Can't find anything on google beyond the usual 'Statutory Nuisance' stuff. There's a map on http://uksmokecontrolareas.co.uk to see if you're in a smokeless zone.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i would have thought it's more for the big burners, can you imagine trying to police the whole of the UK?

the average person is not going to pay £2000 and the Gov know that, so big business not aplicable to ourselves i reckon.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
someone been pulling your leg bob?

i searched google and could not find anything relevant

except to say that certain infected trees and undesirable plants are reccomended if not legally obliged to be burned

Tant

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
bushwacker bob said:
If indeed such legislation is coming into force, i'm sure that a bushcrafter's fire will hardly count as a 'bonfire'.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Ranger Bob said:
If indeed such legislation is coming into force, i'm sure that a bushcrafter's fire will hardly count as a 'bonfire'.

Not unless I'm cooking anyway (and to get in before Espy)

I also think it's just for buisness puproses

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
It's an EU reg that the govt had little intent of enforcing when it coems to homes ( unless you're making a nuisance with the fire ). Comes with the same series of legislation that makes it technicaly illegal to compost within fifty yards of a kitchen ( I think it's fifty yard ). What stuns me is the number of gardeners so het up over this that they're actually afraid of getting done for it, that and the people worried about the law on hose pipes and non-return valves.
Here's the EA line on this:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Topics/Hom...thArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4018684&chk=B2M5st

Realgar

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Realgar said:
Comes with the same series of legislation that makes it technicaly illegal to compost within fifty yards of a kitchen ( I think it's fifty yard ).

Its probably 50 'metres' (yuk) and I think its the same legislation that prohibits the composting of potato peelings (in case they spread foot and mouth diesese, apparently!) You couldn't make it up! :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE