New ash bow (lots of pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

No chance of any time off to hide in the woods this weekend so i managed to finish this ash bow.

Its about 68" ntn, 2.5 inch at the biggest down to about half inch at the tips. Made from a very slow growing bit of ash i harvested a few months ago. The ash had a very close grain and pretty even late/early wood.

The bow pulls around 40+lbs at about 27inch. I wanted a bow that i could shoot all day as my previous bows tended to be a bit heavy, around the 55-60lbs mark. With the very strange ring patter due to the growth of the ash made it a bit of pain to chase rings on the inner limbs so i didnt bother Although i did have to chase a ring on the back due to a nick in the wood.

It has taken about an inch of set which is cool and the tips are slightly reflexed.
Anyway enough blabbering some phots

(PS you can tell i spend more time making bows than gardening)
IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

Cheers fer lookin.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Really nice looking bow that. I've only ever tried modern recurve bows and have fancied trying a more traditional bow. I read a Blogg somewhere might have been sotp where someone ran a course on making bows like this. Wouldn't mind having a go at that.

Thanks for posting this

Dan

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
That's a lovely piece of work.

To Heck with the garden I fancy trying that too. How big was the pice of ash that you started with? Is the back of the bow nearer the centre? Any pics during the making?

Cheers,
Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great work dwardo

How long does it take from start to finish to create something like that ?

I'd love to have a go at it one day

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That is really nice. I have only ever made a few longbows and am really looking forward to playing with flatbows. I was out cutting a load of ash for a course last weekend before the sap rises. How important do you reckon growth rate is? For sports ash that is the commercial grade for hammer and axe handles they want 4-10 rings per inch, or pretty quick grown. I have experienced ash getting brittle when very slow grown, say over 15 to the inch, I guess a bow works it pretty hard.

I have been finding I can get lovely clean ash if it is grown under a canopy but then it tends to be fairly slow. I can find fast grown where it has more light but then I have more side shoots.

HMSO handbook of hardwoods says
Growth Rate As a general rule, timber having growth rings 1.5-6mm wide is to be preferred, especially for the more exacting purposes. Very slow-grown ash having narrower rings contains a high proportion of porous early wood, with consequent reduction in density and strength. 1.5mm is actually pretty slow grown at about 16 to the inch.

Nice bow by the way.:)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Love it, what dia was the pole you used, looks in the pics like the grain on the outside of the bow is mostly within one growth ring?

As far as i remember it was about 10 inch across. The back is mostly one growth ring except for the odd patch that still has the outer ring on. Kinda gave up and left the bits that dont matter so much, tips etc.

That is really nice. I have only ever made a few longbows and am really looking forward to playing with flatbows. I was out cutting a load of ash for a course last weekend before the sap rises. How important do you reckon growth rate is? For sports ash that is the commercial grade for hammer and axe handles they want 4-10 rings per inch, or pretty quick grown. I have experienced ash getting brittle when very slow grown, say over 15 to the inch, I guess a bow works it pretty hard.

I have been finding I can get lovely clean ash if it is grown under a canopy but then it tends to be fairly slow. I can find fast grown where it has more light but then I have more side shoots.

HMSO handbook of hardwoods says
Growth Rate As a general rule, timber having growth rings 1.5-6mm wide is to be preferred, especially for the more exacting purposes. Very slow-grown ash having narrower rings contains a high proportion of porous early wood, with consequent reduction in density and strength. 1.5mm is actually pretty slow grown at about 16 to the inch.

Nice bow by the way.:)

In the past i have made about 9 or so bows from ash and most of them were pretty low desity growth rings. Some were ok but some chrystled quite badly. The ones that did chrystle seemed to be very thick early and late growth rings. This stave was from a very slow grown ash and just as you mention it grew under a big canopy of dug fir. I have no scientific so to say evidence only what i have come across whilst playing but thinner growth rings at the moment seem to be the way to go, or it could just be a fluke.
I completely forgot to count the rings but looking at the bow from its back i can count 11 just in the first half inch and the late wood being the more prodominant. (late is lighter on ash isnt it? back to front?)
The set has been a bit more than usual but i think its more down to design than ring density. Due to the large handle and the fact i had to pike it means shorter working limbs. (I cut the knock into the wrong side in a hurry) daft i know.
Ill keep you updated.

Great work dwardo

How long does it take from start to finish to create something like that ?

I'd love to have a go at it one day

Judging by my garden you would say years :) I tend to make 2 at a time so they get chance to dry out at home. My bows are usually the English Longbow type which seem to take longer but flatows are certainly quicker. Thursday i had roughly floor tillered and i finished it on saturday with a few hours a day. Give it a go you will love it. - splitting, axe and drying time.

That's a lovely piece of work.

To Heck with the garden I fancy trying that too. How big was the pice of ash that you started with? Is the back of the bow nearer the centre? Any pics during the making?

Cheers,
Steve

Back of the bow is sapwood minus one growth ring :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
what's the string made out of?? superb work!

Cheated there ;) Just bought in from quicks.

I am experimenting with wych elm cordage which may do the job. Natural strings seem to be from hide, sinew, and other plant materials, nettle, flax etc. Must admit i havent the patience for nettle and the likes but wych elm so far seems to be strong and easy. Just need to remember to grab some when out next.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A nice (in the true sense of the word) piece of work. What's next?

Cheers stovie.

Next up is a hawthorn bow....hopefully.

Managed to find a reasonably straight 70" long bit whilst walking the dog (about fist thick).
I have axed it down to about half its thickness and de-barked it. Its sat in the garage now turning a lovely brown colour. No signs of checking or warping YET:eek: .
I did the same with some green yew and just kept working it to just before floor tiller, maybe a few days in the garage drying in between working times. Probably a couple of weeks few with ahours here and there to get it to that stage - with early days spent in the garage drying and then later in a spare room. Then when very roughly floor tillered another week or so indoors before it gets dry enough to finish proper tillering.
This one will probably prove me wrong though.. Still there is allways ash and Gwillow :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE