Need help from the Scottish members...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Hi all,

my wife is Canadian but of Scottish decent (Hugenots -> Nugent, clearances, clan MacKay)

I'd like to surprise her with a weekend visit to the Highlands, preferably to an area associated with her ancesters. I need help finding the right place - ideally a small family run, secluded, romantic hotel near stunning scenery, mountains, lochs etc, if it has horse riding available even better.

Can anyone recommend such a place?

Andy

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I believe the MacKays are from Caithness - the main town there is Wick. It's really far north though so expect a trek to get there. I expect your best bet is to fly to Inverness and drive the rest, depending on where you're coming from. I think you can get flights into Wick or Thurso but they won't be cheap.

There's plenty on the web about the MacKays - there will probably be a society website and everything.

Hope that helps,

Neil

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hi! I can't help you with references for the Highlands, but thought I would give a loud 'halloo' to a long distance cousin - I was born a 'Nugent'! :D

Funny though, for some reason I recall being told something about the Farquarson (sp?) clan, not the Mackay...? :confused:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Can someone please cure my ignorance?
What does this mean?
(Hugenots -> Nugent, clearances, clan MacKay)
I know about the clearances (well, a wee bit...) but what's the significance of Nugent/Hugenots? Is it something to do with Calvinism? :confused:

Cheers,
Neil

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
ilovemybed said:
Can someone please cure my ignorance?
What does this mean?

I know about the clearances (well, a wee bit...) but what's the significance of Nugent/Hugenots? Is it something to do with Calvinism? :confused:

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, the Hugenots were effectively driven out of mainland Europe and many of them fled to Scotland. The surname became Nugent.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Angus Og said:

Having had a look at that map I see that Sandwood Bay is covered by the Mackay Clan. Sandwood Bay was recently voted Britain’s most romantic beach!

It's a bit of a walk (4/5 miles) into it but it's worth it and the distance puts most people off so they don't bother ........ which means you may have the place to yourself! Kinlochbervie is the nearest village but I don't know of any Hotels or B&Bs (I've always camped). I think Durness is within striking distance (can someone confirm?) so you could even stay at the Mackays Hotel (4 star)!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE