Neck carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
bushblade said:
The way he showed me is basicaly tying reef knots over 2 central 'filler' cords, allthough you could easily use more than 2. You can make some nice patterns and carry a lot of cordage in a neat, useable package.

Is it the Cobra Stitch?

It sounds like it. I like this style. It's attractive and one of the quicker ones to do.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Stew, there's a photo sequence showing how to make a lanyard using this square stitch on some martial arts web site. My wife watched me struggle for a bit, then got my daughter to do it for me. Apparently these string games are part of junior school playground culture for girls. Well how was I supposed to know ....? :-D

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Bushblade has touched on something that's been bothering me. If wearing a rucsac (or webbing) doesn't the neck/armpit carried knife get caught under the straps and end up both uncomfortable and inaccessible? I can see hanging just from the neck might work, but not with a heavy knife (or a webbing chest rig).

I usually end up with the knife on my belt (no good with web gear or a weight-bearing rucsac hipbelt over the top), in a leg pocket (can get in the way when I kneel down) or most often on the webbing or in my rucsac (inaccessible and could get lost in a crisis).

Any ideas?

Ted W

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If you carry your knife in the neck/armpit/baldric style, then your lanyard is long enough to simply tie the knife around your waist when wearing your pack.

:)
Ed

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
tedw said:
Bushblade has touched on something that's been bothering me. If wearing a rucsac (or webbing) doesn't the neck/armpit carried knife get caught under the straps and end up both uncomfortable and inaccessible? I can see hanging just from the neck might work, but not with a heavy knife (or a webbing chest rig).

I usually end up with the knife on my belt (no good with web gear or a weight-bearing rucsac hipbelt over the top), in a leg pocket (can get in the way when I kneel down) or most often on the webbing or in my rucsac (inaccessible and could get lost in a crisis).

Any ideas?

Ted W

If you got large sidepockets on your pants you can put in your side pocket and then have a piece of paracord tied between your knife and your beltloop. Another way to get your knife below your hipbelt/webbing is to use a carbinehook and hook it in to your beltloop and to you knife and in that way get the below the hipbelt/webbing.

Personally I prefer carry my knife in the armpit, it never a problem for me.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Firstly, my knot terminology is not too hot so apologies if I'm using the wrong terms. On the sheath on my Woodlore I have spliced the two loose ends of the cord in order that I can shorten and lengthen the loop, thus it can either be worn short around the neck, or lengthened to accomodate wearing it across the shoulder. I find it works quite well and can easily be adjusted to suit what I'm wearing and whether I'm carrying a backpack.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
tedw said:

Any ideas?

Ted W

I ment just that type of braid would be uncomfortable with a pack over the top as its square, the outher braids are flat.

When carrying your knife like this keep the cord loose or adjustable and wear it under your outer layer. Without a pack on it naturaly hangs under your armpit and your outer layer keeps it in place. With a pack, slide the knife up to your chest, put the pack on and tighten up the straps as usual. The straps stop it from slipping under your armpit. Done right its very comfortable. To access the knife unzip your jacket reach in and there should be enough cord length to lift the sheath just out of your jacket, then draw your knife. I would not advise drawing the knife while inside your clothing :wink:

Hope this helps

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I usually wear either a Barbour jacket or an army surlus cammo jacket, both of which have zipped map/document pockets. I simple have the knife looped round my neck and tucked into this pocket to keep it out of the way.
Just have to remember to take it out of the pocket before you take the coat off.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE