Native English woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
What are the best english woods to use for knife handles from a purely practical point of view. ie which resist rot best and are stronger and warp the least.

Ive not worked with english oak, apparently it is resistant to rotting but warps easilly. I thought that walnut might be a good one to use, and ash seems the best in every area but rotting.

Could anyone be so kind as to give some info on native or not so native woods which have been brought here several hundred years ago??

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
dont know about using it for a knife handle but i know that sweet chestnut rots slowly
leon

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You've got to be careful with oak and chestnut as they corrode steel, so liners and stainless pins would be needed.
The fruit woods are good, apple, pear and quince. Apple doesn't absorb oil finishes very well, not sure of the others as I've never used them. Don't forget the wild fruitwoods. Blackthorn has a nice grain and hawthorn is tough.
Holly would be worth a go.
Although it's not native laburnum is a great wood, and it's planted in gardens alot so can be had. I've not tried it but I think lilac may be worth a look.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the wood rotting. Once it's been seasoned if it gets wet enough for long enough to start rotting the knife's owner has probably drowned :D .

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
leon-b said:
holly warp alot though
leon
Yeah, it can warp and check as it dries but once the MC has dropped enough it's pretty stable. It should be easy enough to dry suitable bits for knife handles.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Thanks chaps, :You_Rock_

When i have carved oak it sent my knife purple, i always use liners but how would it affect brass pins??

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Shinken said:
Thanks chaps, :You_Rock_

When i have carved oak it sent my knife purple, i always use liners but how would it affect brass pins??
I'm not sure. In the building industry you're supposed to use stainless screws and fittings with oak.
I have an oak handled knife I'm in the middle of finishing, it has rawhide liners and brass mosaic pins. I'm thinking the thin layer of epoxy will protect the pins from the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE