Nah then

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 24, 2006
Yorks-Lancs border
Hi all

My names Mark, a Lancashire lad that's ended up in Yorkshire.

I found this site whilst searching for some hammock info. My 10 year old son told me at the weekend he'd like to try something different. We go site camping and walking already so I suggested backwoodsing (as i've always referred to it) and he jumped at it, so I'm trying to get some gear together. It's been a while since I last wandered off with a tarp, bivvy bag and hatchet so I need to brush up!

Can't tell you how amazed I am about this place. I started wandering off when I was about 18, exploring wild places, learning how to enjoy being there and tuning into it. I honed my kit until I had just what I needed and eventually would get dropped off somewhere on the moors on a friday night and make my way home over the weekend. Friends and family tried it, none really got into it - most wanted a short walk from a car, a big fire and a bag full of tinnies. In '92 I worked with a guy who had heard of Ray Mears, he had a book, but he never left his home just liked reading about that kind of thing. I figured I must be a little wierd. I enjoyed trying that stuff out, spending weekends away, feeling the seasons go by and watching the wildlife. Then my lad was born and it fizzled out, I started a new chapter so to speak. So I guess you can imagine how great it was to stumble across this place....I am not the only one!!

Enough blathering on... I'm going to have a good root around this forum, so much to delve into :D

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Welcome Silver Fox, i,m sure your lad will love going out into the woods,Bushcraft is very addictive and wallet emptying :D . If you have any questions just pull up a log by the virtual fire and ask away.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Welcome aboard Mark, make yourself at home. There are plenty of people willing to answer any questions you may have :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A warm welcome Silver Fox.

Everyone around here thinks I am a bit strange - and I just make friction fires. You guys that like roughing it under tarps - I think you are wierd, but then there are a lot of you on this site.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hello and welcome
As a Yorkshire man not too long departed I'm glad you made the right decision and came over to our side :D (and at least you dont live down south:rolleyes: )

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE