Myxy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I hate to risk stirring up a can of worms but...

I swear by .177 for all my air rifle hunting, have done for over 25 years now. I even prefer it to a .22 rimfire most of the time.

Mind you, each to their own. Use what you are happy/confident with, shoot humanely and enjoy what you do.

Dave

Mar 2, 2004
.177 has a much flatter trajectory[ stays straighter in flight] than the other calibers ...20 .22 .25 and if you use a heavier pellet like the rabbit magnums then .177 is a great hunting caliber provided you use a more powerfull rifle,12 ft pounds is a little light in my opinion for hunting at .177.

i dare say you must be quite accurate after 25 yrs martinidave and probably seen it all by now..just like me ...but for someone new to airrifles id start at .22.
over here you need a firearms certificate for all airguns even below 12 ft pounds so people automatically go for something between 20 and 30 ft pounds unless its for field target which is set at 12 ft pounds. ps im ranked in the top 40 in the world after the last championship :-D cant tell you exactly or everyone will know who i am...and that would never do eh :wink:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
NB,

My comments were all based around using 12 ft-lb rifles, where I prefer the flatter trajectory of .177. I think back when I started there were simply better quality pellets in .177 too.

I took a break of about 12 years from the airgun scene to shoot full bore pistol, coming back to airgunning after the ban in '97. The biggest change I noticed, apart from the array of cheaper pneumatic rifles, was the staggering improvment in the quality of pellets, due mainly I beleive to demands from FT shooters.

I fyou are still competing good luck for the coming year.

Dave

Mar 2, 2004
cheers m8.

yes the pneumatic guns are great,id never shoot spring class again.and 40mm targets at 55 yds in a blowing wind are quite a challenge :lol:
not competing this year as i have other fish to fry and its being held in germany this year :-(
oh well been there done that ...moving on...... :-D

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i would be very careful shooting a golf ball as the pellet'. will fire straight
back at you caused by the shape of the ball and the dimples in it i i know this from fist hand exsperience on being hit in the head by a returned pellet :-(

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i would be very careful shooting a golf ball as the pellet'. will fire straight
back at you caused by the shape of the ball and the dimples in it i i know this from fist hand exsperience on being hit in the head by a returned pellet :-(

Mar 2, 2004
lol. i didnt mean actually shoot a golfball as ive seen the samething happen at my old club but it didnt hit anyone.

anyway golfballs taste yukky and you would chew it for hours without being able to swallow it :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE