My haw experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Well this year has shown a bumper crop of most of my foraged fruits and although I use haws as a great natural setting agent for my fruit leathers and some sweat and sour syrups I still had it in my mind that I was not using them to their full potential ,
I remember reading some time ago about haws being used to make flour during the war but that's as far as it went I struggled to find any documentation reference the process ,and flour is one of my most valued commodities within my wild food larder .
I'm relatively proficient In making flour from acorns and indeed several different nuts but it became quite apparent that the process was to be considerably different .
The first obstacle I knew I would have was the fact that harvesting was not the easiest with the large defensive thorns that the hawthorn sports as it's natural defence from natural foragers and the fact that because of its high moisture content my pick would have to be quite considerable if I was to make a usable amount of flour .
I own a berrie picker which I' have become quite accustomed to but to be honest the thorns are more than a match for the picker and getting caught up was to regular for this to be a effective method ,picking by hand was not difficult but in reflection not pleasant and I was pricked quite severely and the following day my hands were quite sore and inflamed and this brought up the questions for me , are the thorns poisonous , do they carrie any natural bacteria as defence ,
So the answers are .
No, they're not poisonous. But pathogenic bacteria like Clostridium perfringens have been isolated and identified from common hawthorn (with red aposematic thorns), which can cause gangrene.
I also found a well-documented case of Curtobacterium human infection, a child with septic arthritis following puncture with a Coxspur Hawthorn plant thorn which raises obvious concerns and a good reason to find a more productive harvesting technique .
I've harvested sea buckthorn by holding the branches and tapping them over a container and decided to give this a try at first this worked well and was much quicker and without the risk of spiking myself I picked up quite a lot of stray leaf matter but this was no hardship ,my only thought is that next time I will simply lay a tarp out and knock the fruits strait onto that and that will remove any chance waste .
Now I don't want to profess to be any authority on the matter as this is my first year at processing in this way and this is purely a record of my results .
The first thing you need to know about the Hawthorn berries is you should not eat the seeds. They contain cyanide bonded with sugar, called amygdalin. In your gut — actually small intestine — that changes to hydrogen cyanide and can be deadly.
This isn't going to happen by eating the occasional seed but it's a fact and you need to take this into account and I have to portray the facts as I know them ,and the chemicals are only present in the seed so removing them is a must ( another fact is that by cooking the fruit the cyanide is dispersed ) .
So I decided to try three ways of processing these being , roasting and then grinding, air drying and then grinding and pulping and drying and grinding .

When air drying the berries I have and lots of experience in the past with other fruits ,what I found works best is a rack I've made from stretched netting which are about 12x24" and then stacked with a minimum of 50mm between each rack to allow air flow ,it's really important that you place your racks somewhere where the air is dry and constant or the drying becomes difficult as re saturation is the main cause of mould on the berries ,daily checking is needed as if mould is present any infected berries need to be discarded as soon as possible to stop it spreading and the lose of the entire harvest .
Drying in this way depending on the weather can take between 10-20 days so in no way is a fast way to go about it but has its own apparent positives the main being not loosing any of the nutrients through heat .
The next part of the process is removing the seed once dry I did this by rolling the dried fruits under weight this splits the fruit and then there doesn't seem to be any way of removing the seed other than simply picking them out and boy does this take time .
After this you need to grind the remainder it seems my usual method of motor and pestle doesn't work to well so I resulted to a coffee grinder ( one would presume that a grinding stone would make short work of this part of the process . The end result was a course flour which was fruity and extremely pleasant to the taste .

My next process was roasting I adopted the roasting method I use for coffee from roots which is double convection by placing a smaller pot into a dutch oven ,this initially didn't work as the berries releases a huge amount of moisture which they basically boiled in turning them to pulp ,so I pierced the base tray and allowed the liquid to sit in the base of the dutch oven away from the berries my biggest tip at this mark is to continuously remove the liquid to prevent steaming ( you also then have a base for syrup ) .
I had a choice at this point to grind with the seeds as the heat will have neutralised the cyanide or to remove them and process them in the same way as the dried ,
My only option really was to do both so I removed approximately a pound of roasted berry and ground them with a mortar and pestle which worked well but left the quite fine flour with very little taste of haws more a nutty taste than a fruity taste ,
The second amount of the batch I rolled and removed the seeds from the mix ( I cannot stress how long this takes ) the major factor which was surprising was the very small amount of flour I ended with it ground perfectly with a less fruity taste but probably yields a 10% product to initial harvest ratio compared to the air drying which is at a third and the with seeds roasted which is at fifty percent product return from initial harvest

Last and not least was to pulp the berries ,use a large bowl and a potato masher or similar you may need to add water to get a good pulp ,once the berries are pulped the seeds floated to the top so made short work of the previous laborious task .
I then spread the pulp onto trays at 5mm thickness and left them to air dry .
I know from making leather that this was not going to dry to a point where I could grind it to a flour . I decided on scratching the mix up when at a point where the moisture content allowed it .this seems to work well but is very time consuming over four to five weeks every other day also taking the same care to continually check for mould ( a pine come works very well for the scratching up process ) the end result is a fluffy flour with a nice fruity flavour .

So in short each process had pros and cons ,the roasting method was by far the quickest process but yielded the lowest quality regarding taste yet the consistency was the closest to conventional flour out of the three . Where as the mulching process rewarded good flour the time in labour alone made it quite difficult to allocate the needed time ,
My preferred method due to taste was the air drying method although the flour was quite course it was really much more palatable than the others and I suspect it retains more of its natural goodness and after dry they can be stored for later processing . my aim is to find a easier process to remove the seed .

So the question is WHY? is there good enough reason to process haws as flour well I've found some of the reasons why consumption of the nutrients contained within haws are well worth the efforts these include ,Lower blood pressure,Increase the effectiveness of the heart's pumping action,Strengthen the heart muscle,Slow the heartbeat,Dilate coronary arteries,Prevent heart disease, heart attack, and stroke,Help those healing from heart surgery,Support the immune system,Increase longevity

So in short in my opinion yes it's another sustainable resource that I will be making use of and hopefully perfect

@mouseinthewood

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent and interesting post.

I like the sound of the pulping seed separation

As a query could one not pulp, sieve out the seed and roast the seed to dry it then grind?

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D and thank you :D :approve:

On the stone removal bit......I find that squishing them in a poly bag with a rolling pin (much like breaking up digestives for cheesecake base) to break the flesh up a bit and then rubbing the resultant burst fruits through a really strong but wide mesh sieve, is quicker than picking them out one by one.
It's messy, it's kind of wasteful (the skins can be a pain to get through the mesh or remove) but time wise and no loss of nutrient wise, it's a winner.

I don't know why some thorns bring us up in an inflammation; roses do it to me while hawthorns and brambles are fine. Even a tiny wee scrape with a rose thorn will fester :sigh:

How long does the resultant Haw meal / flour last ? would be my next query :)

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How long does the resultant Haw meal / flour last ? would be my next query :)

cheers,
M

My experience of preserving cereal crops is around 6 months as flour - if you can keep the weevils out - but much, much longer in the grain - decades for sure. No idea if that applies to haw meal, but many seeds retain viability for similar periods.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Excellent write up. Thanks for that.

I currently have another batch of Haw leather drying out in my oven. I have made a few alterations to the recipe so that I have a high energy snack to take with me on some of my more strenuous walks. Plus my daughter asked if I could make it sweeter as plain haw leather makes her "eye close" lol

Anyway, to the pulp of 500g of Haws, I added 3 tbsp. of muscovado sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon. It smells wonderful but will have to see how long it will keep and what the consistency is like when its dry.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Great read and well done.

I don't have any experience drying fruit/berries in our climate but the drying duration, the bulk of a couple of weeks, strikes me as being too long and problematic, for all the reasons you mention. I'm wondering if there isn't a way to speed it up, forcing the drying slightly in damp old blighty?

Couldn't you build a tent/habitat and set up some through flow of air through your drying racks, introducing a little heat and perhaps introduce some agent to further speed up/drawing off of the moisture?

Heat needn't mean heating to any great degree as I'd imagine if you could heat the berries a few degrees above ambient that would encourage the berries to dry and prevent moisture take up even when the relative humidity is quite high. A couple of hot-ish rocks in the bottom of the tent/habitat below the berry racks would heat things enough.

Salt sucks up moisture quite effectively, obviously one wouldn't want to taint the berries with salt but an open container of salt in the drying area, or a salt air filter (or both) on the intake side of a naturally set up flue, powered by the hotter air from the hot rocks escaping/venting out the top creating an airlift/aero-syphon, would further lift moisture from the air. Removing and replacing the in-place salt with dry salt regularly would further help to keep the salt drawing off humidity a bit. Heating the used salt would dry it out in preparation for reintroduction. Rock salt could be gotten from your local highways depot or for food prep quality by the 25kg sack.

I've dried out excess grapes, that were collected on the north side of Madera, on the deck of a boat at sea. But of course the sun down there at this time of year is higher and hotter than here. That only took a couple of days, less actually. Had them on the deck for a day, down below for the evening and back out the following morning. Ready for a cake. Don't know how long they'd last as we scoffed them pretty quick, pips and all.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

Good job and good write up.

All the best
Willie

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great read and well done.

I don't have any experience drying fruit/berries in our climate but the drying duration, the bulk of a couple of weeks, strikes me as being too long and problematic, for all the reasons you mention. I'm wondering if there isn't a way to speed it up, forcing the drying slightly in damp old blighty?

Couldn't you build a tent/habitat and set up some through flow of air through your drying racks, introducing a little heat and perhaps introduce some agent to further speed up/drawing off of the moisture?

Heat needn't mean heating to any great degree as I'd imagine if you could heat the berries a few degrees above ambient that would encourage the berries to dry and prevent moisture take up even when the relative humidity is quite high. A couple of hot-ish rocks in the bottom of the tent/habitat below the berry racks would heat things enough.

Salt sucks up moisture quite effectively, obviously one wouldn't want to taint the berries with salt but an open container of salt in the drying area, or a salt air filter (or both) on the intake side of a naturally set up flue, powered by the hotter air from the hot rocks escaping/venting out the top creating an airlift/aero-syphon, would further lift moisture from the air. Removing and replacing the in-place salt with dry salt regularly would further help to keep the salt drawing off humidity a bit. Heating the used salt would dry it out in preparation for reintroduction. Rock salt could be gotten from your local highways depot or for food prep quality by the 25kg sack.

I've dried out excess grapes, that were collected on the north side of Madera, on the deck of a boat at sea. But of course the sun down there at this time of year is higher and hotter than here. That only took a couple of days, less actually. Had them on the deck for a day, down below for the evening and back out the following morning. Ready for a cake. Don't know how long they'd last as we scoffed them pretty quick, pips and all.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

Good job and good write up.

All the best
Willie

Old fashioned lightbulb in a box usually raises the temp for drying.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I do have a drying area which is relatively good for jerky and all drying and find that any forced drying effects the quality

There are lots of different ways I want to try so any suggestions are great fully received

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you need a source Lannyman, come harvest ours - we have some prolific ones in that high hedge along the lane (and BB would love to see you again :))

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have Haws by the bucket but never thought of making them into flour!!?

With regard to Weevils, don't they die if yop freeze 'em? Extra Protein flour?

Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do, and it kills the eggs. However unless you keep the flour hermetically sealed, the little beggars lay more eggs in the flour

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE